Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mak82pk
Helper I
Helper I

SQL Database Vs Azure SQL Database Direct Query Power BI

Dear All,

I am confused understanding direct query between SQL Database Vs Azure SQL Database Power BI

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-directquery-data-sources/

I am currently using SQL Server

For SQL:

Gateway is required.

Does it mean I cannot have real-time data when using direct query and can only refresh dataset after 15min?

It is mentioned under benefit of using direct query 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-use-directquery/#limitations-of-di...

The 1 GB dataset limitation does not apply to DirectQuery

And limitation is

The resultset of a query to external data source has exceeded
the maximum allowed size of '1000000' rows.

Is the above same for SQL server?

Your prompt response would be highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @mak82pk,

There is no different between SQL DB and Azure SQL DB, it's based on your connection mode (Import mode or Direct Query).

• The limitation 1m rows will be applied for both SQL DB and azure db when you use Direct QUery for them.
  • The 1GB dataset is applied for Import mode (whatever your sources is cloud or on-premise)
  • Gateway is required for SQL DB cause it's on-premise, so it needs gateway to handles data transfering from your local to PBI cloud.
  • When using DirectQuery or Live connection, you are in near real-time scenario, and data is up to date whenever users/clients interacts with your charts/reports. If there is no interaction, the data of report will be refreshed every 15 minutes (this refresh period now could be adjusted to 1hour, daily,...)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @mak82pk,

There is no different between SQL DB and Azure SQL DB, it's based on your connection mode (Import mode or Direct Query).

• The limitation 1m rows will be applied for both SQL DB and azure db when you use Direct QUery for them.
  • The 1GB dataset is applied for Import mode (whatever your sources is cloud or on-premise)
  • Gateway is required for SQL DB cause it's on-premise, so it needs gateway to handles data transfering from your local to PBI cloud.
  • When using DirectQuery or Live connection, you are in near real-time scenario, and data is up to date whenever users/clients interacts with your charts/reports. If there is no interaction, the data of report will be refreshed every 15 minutes (this refresh period now could be adjusted to 1hour, daily,...)

Thanks for your prompt response.

I embedded the URL in my web application and report was updated after 1 hour even when I was interacting with the report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors