Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EduardoM83

Returning multiple values from a column to a new table

Hi,

Very new to PowerBI, I have a question around returning mutliple values from a table based on a single value in another.

Example is:

Table 1

Product IDProduct NameQuantity
1234Stapler 11

Table 2

Product IDProduct NameComponentsQuantity
2345Stapler 2Stapler v21
  Staple Pack x1002

4567Stapler 3Stapler v3 1
  Staple Pack x 502

1234Stapler 1Stapler v11
  Staple Pack x 253
  Staple Remover1

I can use the Product ID in both Tables as a join, but I dont know how I can add a column into Table 1 so that it would then show all the components from Table 2 against the matching Product ID?

Hoping this is easy but any guidance would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@EduardoM83,

you have to edit Table1 and Table2 step. Delete whole code and replace it with your Table1 reference, i.e. if your Table1 reference is MyTable1 then replace this whole code with = MyTable1 (if you have some special characters or space in table name i.e My Table1, you have to write it like this: #"My Table1"

Do the same for Table2.

dufoq3_0-1707746841937.png

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
EduardoM83

Hi Dufoq3,

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I am going to have a look at it hopefully get it working.

Thanks.

dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @EduardoM83,

you should use Merge Queries UI button, but before that you have to do some additional steps. You can check that steps here (in this example both tables created in same query). You will be probably confused - but you can click on every single step and try to understand. BTW. Table1 and Table2 steps (based on JSON) - it is just a raw data which I created via UI buddon Enter Data.

I hope this will help you. (Don't spend time with Table2_ReplaceValue step please. At this moment you will probably don't understand how it works).

let
    Table1 = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyNlHSUQouSSzISS1SMASyDZViYwE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Product ID" = _t, #"Product Name" = _t, Quantity = _t]),
    Table2 = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjI2MVXSUQouSSzISS1SMEJil4E4hkqxOtFKCkCWAlxKISAxOVuhwtDAAChkhKIAgkEiJqZm5kiGGSMbbKyA32QFU3wmGwLdjGSaIbLJhgQMNgJ51hibgqDU3Pyy1CKI/lgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Product ID" = _t, #"Product Name" = _t, Components = _t, Quantity = _t]),
    Table2_ReplacedValue = Table.ReplaceValue(Table2,
    null,
    null,
    (x,y,z)=> if Text.Trim(x) = "" then null else x,
{"Product ID", "Product Name", "Components", "Quantity"}),
    Table2_FilledDown = Table.FillDown(Table2_ReplacedValue,{"Product ID"}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(Table1, {"Product ID"}, Table2_FilledDown, {"Product ID"}, "Table2", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Table2" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Table2", {"Product Name", "Components", "Quantity"}, {"Table2.Product Name", "Table2.Components", "Table2.Quantity"})
in
    #"Expanded Table2"

Hi Dufoq3,

I managed to get this to work which is great, but if I add an additional row in table 1, lets say for Product 2345, it doesnt add that to the edited table. Is that possible?

Thanks again.

@EduardoM83,

you have to edit Table1 and Table2 step. Delete whole code and replace it with your Table1 reference, i.e. if your Table1 reference is MyTable1 then replace this whole code with = MyTable1 (if you have some special characters or space in table name i.e My Table1, you have to write it like this: #"My Table1"

Do the same for Table2.

dufoq3_0-1707746841937.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors