Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anktaggrwl
Helper II
Helper II

Receiving error when connecting to Salesforce objects to try to get data on PBI Desktop

We've been getting:

DataSource.Error: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

or some similar variation or error message when attempting to pull data from Salesforce objects and have lost a month of development time due to this issue - no objects can be reliably loaded into a Power BI Desktop data model from Salesforce.

We have tried to work with Microsoft by opening a ticket and have sent fiddler traces and have been told the issue is an internal network proxy issue. We have worked with Salesforce who have told us it's a Microsoft issue. We have worked with our networking team and have been told that there is no issue on the network/proxy side that they can see that is blocking our connection.

When attempting to pull the SAME object from Tableau - no error and everything loads fine (which tells us that this isn't a network/proxy issue)....

I just wanted to put a post out there to see if anyone else in the community has been having any kind of issue when trying to pull objects into Power BI Desktop from Saleforce?

I'm on the September release 64-bit - and we didn't have this issue on the July release - everything worked fine - and then a month ago while still on the July release, our connection stopped working.

We upgraded to the August release but still were unable to connect or find a resolution, and now we've installed the September release but the issue persists....

Is this being experienced by anyone else in the community at all?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@anktaggrwl,

I can connect to Salesforce in September release of Power BI Desktop(2.50.4859.502) without issues. Have you tried to connect to Salesforce objects in Excel and check if it is successful?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@anktaggrwl,

Based on your another thread, this issue is caused by your Proxy settings, could you please close this thread by marking appropriate reply as answer?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@anktaggrwl,

I can connect to Salesforce in September release of Power BI Desktop(2.50.4859.502) without issues. Have you tried to connect to Salesforce objects in Excel and check if it is successful?

Regards,
Lydia

Thanks for confirming - I believe this rules out the Power BI software as the culprit. We are also unable to connect from Excel, but find it odd that connection via Tableau succeeds.

Will continue to explore on the Salesforce configuration/network security side and report back with updates.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors