Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

coneslager

Question with qatways and data sources

1.  Based on the following page, are SQL Server data sources always considered on-premise data sources?  Even when sql server is hosted on an azure VM that has a public IP address and is directly accessable (firewall protected by ip)? 

2.  If so, then all data-sources classified as on-premises requried some kind of gateway?

3.  What are the types of gatways?  Power BI Personal, Power BI Gateway(for Pro), and the data management gateway?  Based on

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/649846-power-bi-personal-gateway, it seems to call out a Power BI gateway that is not the personal gateway....where is it?   I believe the data management gateway is for office 365 BI (going away) but the Power BI Gateway(s)....are there really two?

2 REPLIES 2

To add to #1. The difference between VM's hosted in Azure and using Azure SQL Database is that they are completely different products. When you spin up a VM in Azure this is an Iaas (Infrastructure as a service) and is considered by Power BI to be on-prem and requires a personal gateway connector. When you use Azure Sql Database this is a Paas (Platform as a Service) and is considered by Power BI as a live connection and does not require any connector to be downloaded.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

1. Yes, that is my understanding

2. Yes

3. Power BI Personal Gateway is what that article is referring to. There is another, that is the Analysis Services Connector for connecting to SQL Server Analysis Services. It is in the same place as the Power BI Personal Gateway, down arrow icon in upper right of service.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors