Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Query Folding through ODBC Snowflake

Hi,

I use ODBC connection in PBI to import data from Snowflake DB. To be clear I do not use the Snowflake connector. I use Get Data --> ODBC (which connects to my snowflake DSN).

When I'm importing one customer table, which is over 1k rows, and then filter on that data in power query, I noticed the Native query is greyed out. I'm not sure why it gets greyed out when it's just a simple filter. So this tells me the query is not folding. I'm simply testing this on a small dataset but I hope to bring in a fact table (around 30 million rows) and filter data on it using power query. The objective here is to enable incremental refresh but I know I won't be able to if query folding is not happening when I filter on rows.

Any help? Advice? This is my first time posing here so let me know if I need to add screenshots and/or additional details.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Query folding is definitely supported if Snowflake connector is used. Since you are using ODBC connector, whether query folding is working or not can be checked in 2 places as far as Snowflake is concerned as View native query is greyed out

1. Go to Tools in Power Query invoked through Power BI - Start Diagnostics, refresh your preview and then Stop Diagnostics and check logs. Logs are simple to read and will tell you if Query folding is happening or not.

2. Query history in Snowflake

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick response.

It indeed does look like query folding is not supported while trying to go through ODBC to connect to snowflake. Tried both of your ways and I'm not seeing anything which can support query folding. Was looking for confirmation and seems that this will do. Appreciate it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors