Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query in Desktop not showing exact dataset as in data flow

HI Experts,

I've created a data flow where it pulls the database tables and then enabled incremental refresh in data flow entities in Power BI Service. It loads data perfectly which work fine.

Using Power BI desktop I've connected to data flows and made a refresh within desktop which shows exact number of records for the first time. Later after 2 or more incremental refreshes in dataflow, I've refreshed in desktop as well where it shows incorrect number of records.

Please go through the following with clear explanation

Here what I observed in Power BI Desktop is say for example if we have 10,000 rows for an entity and I've applied incremental refresh(Last Modified Date) in Power BI Service.

It's all good it successfully loads 10,000 rows first time then I go to the database and inserted 40 new records and updated 20 old records and when I come to the PBI service and refresh my dataflow and then when I check the count of records it shows "10,040" but in Power BI Desktop after refreshing it's showing "10,060" which is incorrect.

So my question is why the 20 records are getting added instead of getting updated, in Power BI Desktop?

is it possible to get 10,000(including dated records) + 40 new records, overall it should show 10,040 records?

I used "Group By" in Power BI Desktop, it works for smaller number of rows & columns but this similar concept is not helpful for millions of rows and more columns which takes more time and I think this is not the right approach because it should show similar number of records(dataflow = Power BI Desktop Power Query)

Thanks in advance and please provide your suggestions which will be really helpful for me.

Kind Regards,

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

It's called incremental refresh for a reason. What you were expecting was differential refresh.  Power BI does not currently support that.  Meaning it has no idea what to do with your "updates", and is adding them as new inserts instead.

If you want to emulate differential refresh you need to enable change detection, or you need to widen your update window.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your freply @lbendlin 

So, based on your feedback, the data for updated records should be added as new records in dataflow entities as well right but it's not happening, it is showing correct number of records. 

But I'm bit confused here, In Power BI Desktop we're connecting to dataflow as a source so whatever the data exists in dataflow should reflect the same number of records in Desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors