Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

LaineyTC71

Please help a new Power Query user!

I am new to Power Query and I am really liking it but I am stuck on this issue:

I have merged two tables and I want to complete return a value from one column based on the comparison of two other columns.  There are multiple rows for each employee and what I need to do is pull out the number of days leave an employee is entitled to based on their length of service match with the scheme.  My table looks like this currently:

Ee refActual Years ServiceScheme YearsDays Entitlement
Mary5.310
Mary5.326
Mary5.336

Mary

Mary5.358
Mary5.3615
Mary5.3715
Mary5.3815

I need to return the days value of 8 in a custom column as this corresponds with Mary's length of service being greater then 5 years but less than 6.  I think I need to do something with lists or using custom functions but it is a bit beyond me right now.

Can this be done simply?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Try getting The row with the Max Scheme Years where the Actual years are >= Scheme years, like

Table.AddColumn(PriorStepOrTableName, "Result", each Table.Max(Table.SelectRows(_, each [Actual Years] >= [Scheme Years]), {"Scheme Years"}))[Scheme Years]{0}

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

View solution in original post

v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

Thanks for the soluton @watkinnc  provided and i want to offer some more information for user to refer to.

hello @LaineyTC71 , you can create a custom column.

List.Max(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type"(your last step name),(x)=>x[Scheme Years]<=[Actual Years Service])[Days Entitlement])

Output

vxinruzhumsft_0-1713753477305.png

And you can refer to the following m code

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8k0sqlTSUTLVMwaShkBsoBSrgyZsBMRmmMLG2IVNgNgCU9gUu7AZyFpTTHFzHOIWUPFYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Ee ref" = _t, #"Actual Years Service" = _t, #"Scheme Years" = _t, #"Days Entitlement" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Ee ref", type text}, {"Actual Years Service", type number}, {"Scheme Years", Int64.Type}, {"Days Entitlement", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each List.Max(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type",(x)=>x[Scheme Years]<=[Actual Years Service])[Days Entitlement]))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

Thanks for the soluton @watkinnc  provided and i want to offer some more information for user to refer to.

hello @LaineyTC71 , you can create a custom column.

List.Max(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type"(your last step name),(x)=>x[Scheme Years]<=[Actual Years Service])[Days Entitlement])

Output

vxinruzhumsft_0-1713753477305.png

And you can refer to the following m code

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8k0sqlTSUTLVMwaShkBsoBSrgyZsBMRmmMLG2IVNgNgCU9gUu7AZyFpTTHFzHOIWUPFYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Ee ref" = _t, #"Actual Years Service" = _t, #"Scheme Years" = _t, #"Days Entitlement" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Ee ref", type text}, {"Actual Years Service", type number}, {"Scheme Years", Int64.Type}, {"Days Entitlement", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each List.Max(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type",(x)=>x[Scheme Years]<=[Actual Years Service])[Days Entitlement]))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Try getting The row with the Max Scheme Years where the Actual years are >= Scheme years, like

Table.AddColumn(PriorStepOrTableName, "Result", each Table.Max(Table.SelectRows(_, each [Actual Years] >= [Scheme Years]), {"Scheme Years"}))[Scheme Years]{0}

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors