Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

deuscreator83

Odata connection works in browser but not in PowerQuery

Hey Folks,

I have been trying to connect to an Odata feed that I can access with a simple user+pass authentication via browser and via Postman too (if I select NTLM authentication method). 

The feed's format is the following: https://remote.mycompany.com:7038/DynamicsNAV110_PBI/ODataV4/Company('MY%20COMPANY')/PBI_ProductGrou...

I have tested the connection requests being sent by monitoring the requests via Fiddler, and they seem identical, they are both simple HTTP GET requests, both fail at first and being sent back an unauthorized message as the server asks for credentials and at both cases, those credentials are sent to the server, however, with PowerQuery, the process still fails and the browser just fetches the data at the third try. 

I'm at my wit's end with this, I guess that my client's IT admins are as well 😄 

There is a difference in the exact structure of the headers being sent right before the browser succeeds and PowerQuery fails:

This is sent by the browser:

GET /DynamicsNAV110_PBI/ODataV4/Company(MY%20COMPANY')/PBI_ProductGroup

HTTP/1.1
Host: mycompany:7038
Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0
sec-ch-ua: "Not?A_Brand";v="8", "Chromium";v="108", "Microsoft Edge";v="108"
sec-ch-ua-mobile: ?0
sec-ch-ua-platform: "Windows"
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 Edg/108.0.1462.76
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8,application/signed-exchange;v=b3;q=0.9
Authorization: NTLM ***********************************************************
Sec-Fetch-Site: none
Sec-Fetch-Mode: navigate
Sec-Fetch-User: ?1
Sec-Fetch-Dest: document
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.9,hu;q=0.8

And this is by PowerQuery:

GET /DynamicsNAV110_PBI/ODataV4/Company(MY%20COMPANY')/PBI_ProductGroup

HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Microsoft.Data.Mashup (https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=304225)
MaxDataServiceVersion: 3.0
OData-MaxVersion: 4.0
Accept: application/json;odata.metadata=minimal;q=1.0,application/json;odata=minimalmetadata;q=0.9,application/atomsvc+xml;q=0.8,application/atom+xml;q=0.8,application/xml;q=0.7,text/plain;q=0.7
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Authorization: NTLM **********************************************************
Host: mycompany:7038

Any suggestions are infinitely welcome!

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Check your Accept:  list.  seems to be missing a few entries.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors