Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

filipeanalytics
Regular Visitor

Merge reference or duplicate query into source query

I'm trying to merge my main query with another query that I created as a reference from this main query. Power Query doesn't let me do that.

The reference query is basically a group by from the main query and I'm trying to join/merge this summary table back into the main query.

I'm trying to do the equivalent of the SUM window function in SQL.

Ex: SUM(salary) OVER(PARTITION BY dept_id) AS dept_total_salary

5 REPLIES 5
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

Thanks for the solution @lbendlin  provided, and i want to offer some more information for user to refer to.

hello @filipeanalytics , based on your description,the tables  cannot combine, because you reference the main table, it will exist the cycle reference.

you don't need to reference the main table, you can do the operations directly in main table, in your picture, you want to sum the area for a and b.

You can refer to the following code in advanced editor in power query.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bdAxDoAwDAPAv2TuQJ0G+EuVgf7/EUQIIStk8HKqJadzCjaoNLkiI6Li7YcH43oRFY5ct0ivUHPdnhT4vQRN6hWCceWLUO0ETbIK91w3/hDGU9xv", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Year = _t, Category = _t, Quantity = _t, Area = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Year", Int64.Type}, {"Category", type text}, {"Quantity", Int64.Type}, {"Area", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Year", "Category"}, {{"Data", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_,"Index",1,1), type table }}),
    #"Expanded Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Data", {"Quantity", "Area", "Index"}, {"Quantity", "Area", "Index"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Data", "Custom", each List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Data",(x)=>x[Year]=[Year] and x[Category]=[Category] and (x[Index]=1 or x[Index]=2))[Area]))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Output

vxinruzhumsft_0-1715754749153.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

filipeanalytics
Regular Visitor

Hi @lbendlin, I've uploaded the PBIX file in the following link: https://we.tl/t-H4KIHK56eM

This is the flow of what I'm trying to do:

filipeanalytics_0-1715639633961.png

I created the expected result manually in Excel.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Thank you,

Filipe

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can merge your query with itself, which is safer than using a reference query.  Read about how transform step names can be used for that.

Thanks a lot for the fast reply @lbendlin!

I'm trying to join my main query to a summarized version of it, so I don't think I can do that by merging the query to itself.

Is there a way to do the equivalent of a sql SUM window function?

SUM(salary) OVER(PARTITION BY dept_id) AS dept_total_salary

Because in the end what I'm trying to do is to create a new column using SUM partitioned by two other columns.
Below is the image of the summarized table, which is a reference to the main query. And my goal is to merge this to the main query (which has the granular data) by year and category.

filipeanalytics_1-1715379823325.png

The referenced query becomes unavailable for merging when I try to do a merge from the main query:

filipeanalytics_2-1715379874841.png

Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).

Do not include sensitive information or anything not related to the issue or question.

If you are unsure how to upload data please refer to https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-...

Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

Want faster answers? https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors