Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kaym
Helper I
Helper I

Logistics Dashboard Need Guidance on Defining Shipment Stops

Hello, 

Fellow analysts, I am dealing with a little messy logistics data currently and after lots of cleaning, I have been stuck at one place for a while now. I am trying to do my best to explain it in easy terms:

there are shipments (shipment#) with multiple stops, including pickups and deliveries. Each stop has a type (pickup or delivery) and an estimated delivery date is mentioned for rows with stop type = delivery.

I need to address the following issues:

1. Determine the correct order of stops within each shipment.
  2. Assume that pickups should always be followed by delivery stops.
  3. Ensure that the truck delivers first to the location where the estimated delivery date is earliest.

There is one example that is giving me a headache - 
There are pickups from 2 different locations and delivery at 2 different locations:

Shipment #

Ref #

Stop Type

Estimated Delivery Date  

A

Pickup

Warehouse A, Texas

-

A

Delivery

Customer C, New York

2023-01-12

B

Pickup

Warehouse B, Florida

-

B

Delivery

Customer D, Maine

2023-01-15

So, the correct order or route for this shipment (12345) should be :  Texas - Florida - New York - Maine

What can I do in Power Query to ensure stops are labelled for each shipment? 

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
jgeddes
Super User
Super User

You may want to look at table grouping and nested table sorting to get the result you are looking for. Here is an example code you can paste into the advanced editor of a blank query. It may not be the exact solution you need to should help point you in the right direction.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyNjFV0lFyBOKAzOTs0gIgIzyxKDUjv7Q4VcFRRyEktSKxGCioFKuDUO6EXbmTjoJbTn5RZkoiugaQ+S6pOZllqUWVQKZzaXFJfm5qkYKzjoJfarlCZH5RNlDYwFDf0EjfyMDIGMM2bJpddBR8EzPzUqE6TaE6YwE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Shipment = _t, Ref = _t, #"Stop Type" = _t, Location = _t, ETA = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Shipment", Int64.Type}, {"Ref", type text}, {"Stop Type", type text}, {"Location", type text}, {"ETA", type date}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Shipment", "Ref"}, {{"_nestedTable", each _, type table [Shipment=nullable number, Ref=nullable text, Stop Type=nullable text, Location=nullable text, ETA=nullable date]}}),
    Custom1 = Table.TransformColumns(#"Grouped Rows", {{"_nestedTable", each Table.Sort(_, {{"Stop Type", Order.Descending}, {"ETA", Order.Ascending}})}}),
    #"Expanded _nestedTable" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Custom1, "_nestedTable", {"Stop Type", "Location", "ETA"}, {"Stop Type", "Location", "ETA"})
in
    #"Expanded _nestedTable"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors