Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mcody
Frequent Visitor

KPI using two different data sources

Hi,

I would like to display KPI on dashboard.

Actual value comes from on-premises SQL.

Target/Goal is stored on another system, excel file.

Now I can create two different datasets and make separte reports for actual and target, then use these to add two seperate live tiles to dashboard. But, would really like to combine and use one KPI visual.

Is there any way to achieve this?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mcody,

You can open Power BI desktop, get data from SQL Server database and Excel file, create proper relationships between actual and target tables, you can go through this article firstly: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop. Then you can create a KPI visual use data from those two data sources.

After publish the report to Power BI service, configure the dataset to use gateway, you can pin the visual from the report to a dashboard.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mcody,

You can open Power BI desktop, get data from SQL Server database and Excel file, create proper relationships between actual and target tables, you can go through this article firstly: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop. Then you can create a KPI visual use data from those two data sources.

After publish the report to Power BI service, configure the dataset to use gateway, you can pin the visual from the report to a dashboard.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I didn't explain full situation in post.

SQL DB using Direct Query mode, so cannot load data from Excel file without changing mode. Not allowed to mix modes it seems.

So I guess my options are:

• Use import mode for all (Reason for selecting Direct Query was to use auto schedule refresh, not available in import mode)
  • Pipe Excel into SQL and take it from there

Unless you have some other suggestion.

thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors