Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

john_colvin
Frequent Visitor

How to enable scheduled refresh for a large SharePoint list?

I previously posted about issues with this here

I've tried to create a query that the Power BI service can use for scheduled refresh, but I haven't quite been able to pull it off. I'm not ashamed to say I think I need someone to hold my hand through this...because I'm hitting a wall over here! Thanks in advance for any help.

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Is this a SharePoint Online or a On-Premise SharePoint?  (Online SharePoint does not require a gateway). Usually SharePoint data sources don't need a refresh schedule, they are supposed to automatically refresh "within the hour".  What's the business value of the schedule?

This is for a SharePoint Online list. It has more than 20K items and approximately 50-100 items are created/modified each day. I'd like to be able to refresh the Power BI report that references this list at least twice per day if possible.

I've never heard anything about the Power BI service refreshing SharePoint lists within the hour. It's my understanding that data models only refresh if you turn on the scheduled refresh feature in the dataset's settings. 

As far as business value, we have lots of different SP lists that we're using in different PBI data models. As more and more of these become "large" lists, it'll be more and more important for me to understand how to create a query that can auto-refresh and provide updates on large lists. 

Please let me know if further clarification will help. 

You may also want to consider looking at it from the other side (ie from the Power BI Service)

Create a semantic model from a SharePoint List - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors