Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Bommy
Frequent Visitor

How to Account for a new File Path daily

Hello There!

Currently I am stuck on a problem with my data source and couldn't find much on this type of issue without utilizng something like power automate. I am just currently a "small fry" in my company trying to prove my knowledge and sadly, I don't have the true access as this time to utilize automate so I am in search of a workaround for now.

Any help or guidance would be wonderful, even something like "You're thinking about this the wrong way"(Along with a new way to think about it of course ;P) would be truly helpful.

Right now, I have reports that are automatically pulled and saved to the same location everyday it's just that the file path has a date in it so it changes.

Ex, "Basic\Maintenance\15AUG2023\AnotherFolder\OneLastFolder\Destination.csv"

"Basic\Maintenance\14AUG2023\AnotherFolder\OneLastFolder\Destination.csv"

"Basic\Maintenance\13AUG2023\AnotherFolder\OneLastFolder\Destination.csv"

I am currently just using this variable to grab yesterday's date and insert it into the source's file path

YesterDate = Text.Upper(Date.ToText(Date.AddDays(DateTime.Date(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()), -1), "ddMMMyyyy")),

Here is the layout of what I am currently utilizing

let

YesterDate = Text.Upper(Date.ToText(Date.AddDays(DateTime.Date(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()), -1), "ddMMMyyyy"))

Source = Folder.Files("C:\Basic\Maintenance\"&YesterDate&"\AnotherFolder\OneLastFolder\Destination.csv")

in

Source

This works for the most part, except when no one is around on the weekends to pull the reports and then we have to change the source to Friday's and Saturday's reports.

I was hoping for something where the end user could input a date. Say, Aug 13, 2023 and have the variable use that but it doesn't seem to be possible, Unless I am wrong?

I was also thinking of a second and third excel workbook/sheet with the values changed for dates (As much as I prefer not to, as I am thinking there is a better way)

Friday = Text.Upper(Date.ToText(Date.AddDays(DateTime.Date(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()), -3), "ddMMMyyyy"))

Saturday = Text.Upper(Date.ToText(Date.AddDays(DateTime.Date(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()), -2), "ddMMMyyyy"))

Thank you 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

You can have a cell in Excel into which the user places the variable, then use Get Data "From Table". Name that Query "DateVar". Then in your path, replace your "13AUG2023" with &DateVar&

Now your user can add the variable in the cell and hit Refresh All.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

You can have a cell in Excel into which the user places the variable, then use Get Data "From Table". Name that Query "DateVar". Then in your path, replace your "13AUG2023" with &DateVar&

Now your user can add the variable in the cell and hit Refresh All.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors