Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

FarmerKenny
Helper II
Helper II

How do I use the DATE parameter with my SQL Direct Query?

I have a simple select statment with a where clause that contains date. I would like to replace the Date column reference with a DATE datatype parameter. I have searched this forum numerous times and I can only find examples where the parameter is a TEXT datatype.  If that's the only way that it can be done, I will accept that.  How do I formate the DATA Parameter reference in my direct query SQL statment?  '"StartTime"' is how my date parm is  currently formatted and that throws a Token Comma expected error.  Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FarmerKenny
Helper II
Helper II

The answer turned out to be making every column be the same datatype -- in this case a DATE.  The syntax that finally worked was this: 

CAST(CreatedDate as DATE)  >= '"&StartTime&"'

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FarmerKenny
Helper II
Helper II

The answer turned out to be making every column be the same datatype -- in this case a DATE.  The syntax that finally worked was this: 

CAST(CreatedDate as DATE)  >= '"&StartTime&"'
FarmerKenny
Helper II
Helper II

let
    Source = Sql.Database("hadev19", "ECCOVIA", [Query="WITH AllRows AS (#(lf)select#(lf)                    LedgerType,#(lf)                    FamilyAcct,#(lf)                    ClientID,#(lf)                    CreatedDate,#(lf)                    Charge_Amount,#(lf)                    [Service],#(lf)                    PaymentsToDate,#(lf)                    Balance#(lf)                   #(lf)                from ECCOVIA.dbo.[Account_LedgerByFamily] #(lf)where  LedgerType in ('Charge', 'Payment') #(lf)and CAST(CreatedDate as DATE)  >= '"StartTime"' #(lf)--group by LedgerType, FamilyAcct, ClientID#(lf))#(lf)   #(lf)select#(lf)           #(lf)      LedgerType,#(lf)      FamilyAcct,#(lf)      ClientID,      #(lf)        MAX(CAST(CreatedDate as DATE)),#(lf)        Charge_Amount,#(lf)        [Service],#(lf)        PaymentsToDate,#(lf)         Balance#(lf)      #(lf)from#(lf)#(lf)AllRows#(lf)where NOT Exists (select * from ECCOVIA.dbo.[Account_LedgerByFamily] b#(lf)where b.ClientID = AllRows.ClientID#(lf)And LedgerType = 'Payment'#(lf)and CreatedDate  >= '"StartTime"'#(lf)group by LedgerType, FamilyAcct, ClientID,Charge_Amount,[Service], PaymentsToDate, Balance#(lf);"]),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(Source,{{"", "CreatedDate"}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"CreatedDate", type date}, {"FamilyAcct", type text}, {"ClientID", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

My Query is above. 

@FarmerKenny Write your code like this:

let
    Source = Sql.Database (
        "autumn\sql2019",
        "ContosoRetailDW",
        [
            Query = 
        "
        SELECT * 
        FROM Dates
        WHERE [Date] = 
        "
            & "'"
            & DateTime.ToText ( TargetDateParameter )
            & "'"
        ]
    )
in
    Source

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors