Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SJHALANI
Helper I
Helper I

Help with creating column based on month

Hi All,

I want to create a new column ('Last Month of Funds') in my table which has values based on another column ('PO Projections').
The corresponding values that I want are listed in the table below. Using the conditional column feature, I think I can get the first 2 values but not sure about the ones where I want the exact month basis the current month. Logic for 'One Cycle Budget' is Current month - 1 (so, eg if we are in May'23 I would want Apr'23 here). For 'Two Cycle Budget' it is Current month and for 'Three Cycle Budget' it is current month + 1 

PO ProjectionsLast Month of Funds
No FundsNo Funds
OKSufficient Funds
One Cycle BudgetApr'23
Two Cycle BudgetMay'23
Three Cycle BudgetJun'23

Please let me know how this could be done. TIA!

7 REPLIES 7
SJHALANI
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

Using the "Conditional Column" feature, I have used the below code:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Duplicates1", "Last Month of Funds", each if [PO Projections] = "No Funds" then "No Funds" else if [PO Projections] = "One cycle budget" then "Apr'23" else if [PO Projections] = "Two cycles budget" then "May'23" else if [PO Projections] = "Three cycles budget" then "Jun'23" else if [PO Projections] = "OK" then "Sufficient for next 3 service months" else [PO Projections]).

What I want to do the above code is, insted of hardcoding "One cycle budget" to "Apr'23", I want it to be dynamic so that it codes it as (Current month - 1). Similarly "Two cycles budget" should be (Current Month) and "Three cycles budget" should be (Current Month + 1). So the question simply is how do I make the hardcoded values Apr'23, May'23 and Jun'23 based on the current month?

Hi @SJHALANI,

Have you tried the code I supplied earlier?

You can copy the full script into a new blank query.

Hi,
I am getting the below error: (see screenshot)

Error - PBI.png

Hi @SJHALANI,

You haven't copied the code into a new blank query but in a step...

Create a new blank query, open the advanced editor window, select all you see there and replace it with the supplied code.

If you want to implement this code into your own query, here are the steps.

Select your query, open the advanced editor window, place your cursor after the in-clause, enter to go to a new line and paste in this code:

lookIn = {{"No", "No Funds"}, {"OK", "Sufficient Funds"}, {"One", -1}, {"Two", 0}, {"Three", 1}},

Now select the in-clause and all that follows and copy this in its place:

AddColumn = Table.AddColumn( Source, "NewColumn", each 
        let v = List.Select( lookIn, (x)=> x{0} = Text.BeforeDelimiter([PO Projections], " " )){0}{1} in 
        try Date.ToText( Date.AddMonths( Date.From( DateTime.FixedLocalNow()), v), [Format = "MMM yy", Culture="en-US"] ) 
        otherwise v, type text
    )
in
    AddColumn

Where it says "Source" on this line: AddColumn = Table.AddColumn( Source

Replace that with the previous step name, just copy it from before the equals sign

Double check that your table includes a column with this name: [PO Projections]

and that should be it.

Ps. If this helps solve your query please mark this post as Solution, thanks!

m_dekorte
Super User
Super User

Hi @SJHALANI,

Without an external fixed reference date, Current month logic in Power Query is always dynamic and will update with each refresh. There is no way to make that static (without a fixed reference point) this means next month, all associated values, even though they originated in a different period, would be updated to:

PO ProjectionsLast Month of Funds
No FundsNo Funds
OKSufficient Funds
One Cycle BudgetMay'23
Two Cycle BudgetJun'23
Three Cycle BudgetJul'23

Will that meet your requirement? If not, is there a fixed reference point available in your data?

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I want it dynamic as well and so what you are saying makes sense. Next month, the values should be 'May'23', 'Jun'23', 'Jul'23'.
However, my question was more around how to code that in Power query so that I am able to create the column 'Last Month of Funds'. Would be great if I can know what code/transformation feature to use to make it work.. Thanks!

Hi @SJHALANI 

You can give something like this a go

let
    lookIn = {{"No", "No Funds"}, {"OK", "Sufficient Funds"}, {"One", -1}, {"Two", 0}, {"Three", 1}},
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8stXcCvNSylW0kEwY3Wilfy9gSLBpWlpmcmZqXklyDJ5qQrOlck5qQpOpSnpqSVAdY4FRTGlBgZG5kbGYCUh5fnoSnwTK1GVZBSlYpjjVZqHUBQLAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"PO Projections" = _t, #"Last Month of Funds" = _t]),
    AddColumn = Table.AddColumn( Source, "NewColumn", each 
        let v = List.Select( lookIn, (x)=> x{0} = Text.BeforeDelimiter([PO Projections], " " )){0}{1} in 
        try Date.ToText( Date.AddMonths( Date.From( DateTime.FixedLocalNow()), v), [Format = "MMM yy", Culture="en-US"] ) 
        otherwise v, type text
    )
in
    AddColumn

It's a bit more elaborate but scalable and avoids duplication of code.

All the way at the top I've added a lookIn list with nested lists that each contain 2 items, a part to lookFor and a part to return. When the return value is not a numer the conversion to date will raise an error and try~otherwise will return the return value instead of the error.

As you can see here

m_dekorte_0-1683557157222.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors