Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

crossover
Advocate I
Advocate I

Good practice for splitting long text strings

I have a column [text1] with strings of various lenghts anywhere between 10 to 300+ characters. I need to break this text down to 4 columns - knowing that a single column fits up to 70 characters and line breaking should be done nicely with a space (e.g. not to break up words - this is where my M gets annoyingly extensive). The fourth column can contain whatever is left from the broken down string.

While I can eventually get it done, the reality is that I have 2 columns that need this and my M syntax got really long and I wanted to check if there's a better alternative to Split column at 70 characters + split again at right-most space and do A LOT of replacing and custom columns.

Is there some good practice or M text manipulation functions that are well suited for this task? A minor example below of the expected outcome by splitting up to 20 characters per column. Any relevant blog posts or M functions that might be useful in this case? No good hits so far when googling around aside of basic split-by-delimiter stuff. Feels like someone must have surely tackled this issue before...

split.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jakinta
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello,

try this.

I have added paramater NumOfChar so you can input desired number of characters to split.

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table2"]}[Content],
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Text.PositionOfAny([Column1],{" "},Occurrence.All
)),
Custom = #"Added Custom"{0}[Custom],
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Custom, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", Int64.Type}}),
#"SPLIT (parameter)" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if [Column1] < NumOfCh then 0
else if ([Column1] >= NumOfCh and [Column1] < NumOfCh*2) then 1
else if ([Column1] >= NumOfCh*2 and [Column1] < NumOfCh*3) then 2
else if [Column1] >= NumOfCh*3 then 3 else null),
#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"SPLIT (parameter)", {"Custom"}, {{"Gr", each _, type table [Column1=nullable number, Custom=number]}}),
#"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom.1", each Table.AddIndexColumn([Gr], "Index")),
#"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Position", each [Gr][Column1]{0}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom3",{"Custom", "Gr", "Custom.1"}),
Positions = List.Combine ({{0}, List.RemoveFirstN(#"Removed Columns"[Position], 1)}),
FINAL = Table.SplitColumn(Source, "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions(Positions) )
in
FINAL

Jakinta_0-1619312155889.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

here you can find all the functions available to act on the texts

I propose a draft resolution. See if it comes close to what you are looking for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

a version that takes into account, if I understand what you mean, the limit of 70 characters for the first three columns.

Jakinta
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello,

try this.

I have added paramater NumOfChar so you can input desired number of characters to split.

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table2"]}[Content],
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Text.PositionOfAny([Column1],{" "},Occurrence.All
)),
Custom = #"Added Custom"{0}[Custom],
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Custom, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", Int64.Type}}),
#"SPLIT (parameter)" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if [Column1] < NumOfCh then 0
else if ([Column1] >= NumOfCh and [Column1] < NumOfCh*2) then 1
else if ([Column1] >= NumOfCh*2 and [Column1] < NumOfCh*3) then 2
else if [Column1] >= NumOfCh*3 then 3 else null),
#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"SPLIT (parameter)", {"Custom"}, {{"Gr", each _, type table [Column1=nullable number, Custom=number]}}),
#"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom.1", each Table.AddIndexColumn([Gr], "Index")),
#"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Position", each [Gr][Column1]{0}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom3",{"Custom", "Gr", "Custom.1"}),
Positions = List.Combine ({{0}, List.RemoveFirstN(#"Removed Columns"[Position], 1)}),
FINAL = Table.SplitColumn(Source, "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions(Positions) )
in
FINAL

Jakinta_0-1619312155889.png

Thanks, I wasn't able to implement this directly, but was able to pick up some methods.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors