Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

schmotz

GET tables method is not supported for this dataset - not implemented

I am trying to use the API to query the set of tables associated with a given dataset.

This works correctly on the sample dataset and on the dataset I 'created' through the API.

But, it does not work with one of my existing datasets that was tied to an Oracle datasource.

I would not think that should matter, because the data is already set up within PowerBI.

It may be that it has some rows in it that it does not understand, but the error message is not very informative:

StatusCode: 501, ReasonPhrase: 'Not Implemented'

Using the API has been a bit of a struggle so far and I was wondering if there is missing documentation concering what actually works in the API or this function?

1 REPLY 1
wlopezm
Regular Visitor

I had a similar issue trying to insert a set of records into a table.The table belongs to a model created either with Excel (using Power Pivot / Power Query) or Power BI Desktop.

After a lot of searching and reading I found there is no currently support for some kind of operations regarding datasets and tables created outside the API.

I finally found a detailed error description using Apiary (docs.powerbi.apiary.io). It's a great tool to do testing with the API. It shows a detailed error when things go wrong. By using the API through .NET and C#, you can only see transport errors associated with the protocol: Not found, Bad request or "Not implemented".

For example, this is error generated by Apiary:

{
  "error": {
    "code": "InvalidRequest",
    "message": "Posting rows to this type of dataset is not currently supported. Please create your dataset by posting it through the API following the instructions on http://dev.powerbi.com."
  }
}    

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors