Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kelly_Zhu
Helper III
Helper III

Error when connect to a excel file

Hi Everyone,

When I connect to Excel, there is always an error that power BI couldn't figure out the column name and think column name is vacancy.

Can you please give me some advice to import a Excel file? Thanks!

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Kelly

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at the data, have a check if you have any extra blank columns.  These will have all values as Null.  These would need to be removed, preferably from the source file first.

Once you get the data into your queries, are you running the step to "Make First Row as Header"?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kelly,  You'll need to post a lot more information if you want some help.  Can you give us access to a demo version of your file in question?  Does the connection work the first time, but fail on later refreshes after you've updated your file?

Hi

Yes,it is the first time I connected to this Excel file. And I find that the failure happened to my connection everytime.

Community can't upload the Excel file and I don't know how to get the URL of file, so I insert the image.

Excel FileExcel File

This is the image of import result preview.

Import Result Preview.PNG

Could you tell me your email? If OK, I will send the file to you by email.

Best Regards,

Kelly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at the data, have a check if you have any extra blank columns.  These will have all values as Null.  These would need to be removed, preferably from the source file first.

Once you get the data into your queries, are you running the step to "Make First Row as Header"?

Hi,

Crtl+End to move to the last cell.

last cell.PNG
The last cell is "C22". So there is no blank column in this file.

And can you please tell me how to run the step to "Make First Row as Header"? Thanks a lot!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd be looking at column D onwards.  Excel can see these as having data even though they look blank to the eye.

Hi Ross,

I have found the step of "Use first Row as Headers" which you advised. That is a good way to solve this! Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Kelly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors