Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ScottF75

Divide by subtotal

Hi,

I'm trying to find an item's share of a particular value.

I have item sales across multiple locations and footprints within these locations i.e. locations 1 and 4 have the same footprint and locations 2 and 3 have the same footprint. This sales data is all in the same column with the Location and footprint also in separate columns.

Within Power Query, I would like to add a column that will show the sales share of each item within the location and footprint they belong to and i'd like the column to be part of the same table.

Thanks for looking.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
crm2710
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello @ScottF75 , if I'm interpreting this correctly, it sounds like a "% of Group", class of issues in power query. I had a similar issue a few weeks ago and unfortunately, there is no 'straightforward' way that I could find. The method I used came from the following Youtube clip I found handy, involves Grouping the table a couple of times and making some edits.

This will give you what you need ( a 4th column showing the % as part of the same table): i.e. Location, Footprint, Sales, % of Group . 

As an alternative, there is the following approach which doesn't involve grouping as much but which does need editing to the M query (both end up at the same result but from different approaches). 

Hope this helps and good luck, I know its a bit of effort !

View solution in original post

Hi @crm2710 , thanks for replying, I'll take a look at those two options.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
crm2710
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello @ScottF75 , if I'm interpreting this correctly, it sounds like a "% of Group", class of issues in power query. I had a similar issue a few weeks ago and unfortunately, there is no 'straightforward' way that I could find. The method I used came from the following Youtube clip I found handy, involves Grouping the table a couple of times and making some edits.

This will give you what you need ( a 4th column showing the % as part of the same table): i.e. Location, Footprint, Sales, % of Group . 

As an alternative, there is the following approach which doesn't involve grouping as much but which does need editing to the M query (both end up at the same result but from different approaches). 

Hope this helps and good luck, I know its a bit of effort !

@crm2710 That YouTube video is exactly what i've been looking for, thank you.

That's great! I'm glad the video was of help - all the best!

Hi @crm2710 , thanks for replying, I'll take a look at those two options.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors