Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jsullivan928

Direct Query user needing to add a calculated column

I am working in Direct Query where I don't have access to the actual data due to SQL permission rights and the application I am pulling the data from won't allow any changes to the database. When I do the direct query I have a column of numbers that range from 400-850 and I want to group them together in certain ranges. I have tried creating a group but I am limited to either data ranges of 25 and I need them in groups that are not a set range. For instance anything less than 600 I need to be gouped together and then any number from 600-624 in another group and then 625-659, 660-699, 700-724,725-774,775+. I can group and put them in a BIN but I think there should be an easier way. I tried to transform the data by adding a Custom Column in the Transfrom data mode but I get a message when I use the IF or SWITCH commands that this is not supported in a Direct Query mode.  

Here is a sample of my data:

jsullivan928_0-1692890306965.png

Here is the attempt to add a Custom Calculated Column and the formula I used:

jsullivan928_1-1692890542212.png

Here is the error message I get when I click OK as I think it should work as I do't have a syntax error so I know the formula is correct. 

jsullivan928_2-1692890622968.png

Any suggestions would be helpful. I tried writing the formula in SQL as well and that did not work as I tried it with a CASE WHEN statement. I tried looking up the PQL language and that was not helpful as I am unfamiliar with that language as well. 

Should I try adding a column in the report itself instead of the actual table? Any suggestions would be helpful. I an a novice/moderate BI user trying to learn and expand my knowledge. Also I want to do this with several of the datasets in this query so if I can get this one which I think should be simple I can do it for the other columns I need to do it with. Thank you in advance. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PijushRoy
Super User
Super User

Hi @jsullivan928 

Please create calculated column with Switch statement in Power BI desktop, not in Power Query.

Thanks
Pijush

View solution in original post

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @jsullivan928 ,

Switch is a DAX expression. And currently you are in M query.

If you want to continue working in M Query, use the If-else statement.

If you want to continue using Switch, use the dax in a calculated column.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @jsullivan928 ,

Switch is a DAX expression. And currently you are in M query.

If you want to continue working in M Query, use the If-else statement.

If you want to continue using Switch, use the dax in a calculated column.

PijushRoy
Super User
Super User

Hi @jsullivan928 

Please create calculated column with Switch statement in Power BI desktop, not in Power Query.

Thanks
Pijush

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors