Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WNCPBI
Regular Visitor

Dataflow refresh failing on Merged table (Cannot resolve the collation conflict)

I am importing an Excel workbook into a PPU Workspace Dataflow.

From the table, I've created a star schema with four dimension tables and a fact table. Three of the Dimension tables are creating and merging into the fact table created from a reference to the main table. However, the final table is throwing an error. To do the final merge I'm unpivoting some columns (in the new dimension and fact tables (they are all the same data type)) and then adding an index column and doing the merge. This is apparently working in Power Query, but failing on the Dataflow refresh with the following error:

Error: Data Source Error : DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "Latin1_General_100_BIN2_UTF8" and "Latin1_General_100_CI_AS_KS_WS_SC" in the equal to operation. DataSourceKind = <ccon>SQL</ccon> DataSourcePath = <ccon>.\cdsasqlcache;db$0056c321-7c84-4a82-b68b-cef9f38db461</ccon> Message = <ccon>Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "Latin1_General_100_BIN2_UTF8" and "Latin1_General_100_CI_AS_KS_WS_SC" in the equal to operation.</ccon> ErrorCode = <ccon>-2146232060</ccon> Number = <ccon>468</ccon> Class = <ccon>16</ccon> State = <ccon>9</ccon>. RootActivityId = 96a2329a-98b1-464e-9a38-52bec4fe1476.Param1 = DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "Latin1_General_100_BIN2_UTF8" and "Latin1_General_100_CI_AS_KS_WS_SC" in the equal to operation. DataSourceKind = <ccon>SQL</ccon> DataSourcePath = <ccon>.\cdsasqlcache;db$0056c321-7c84-4a82-b68b-cef9f38db461</ccon> Message = <ccon>Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "Latin1_General_100_BIN2_UTF8" and "Latin1_General_100_CI_AS_KS_WS_SC" in the equal to operation.</ccon> ErrorCode = <ccon>-2146232060</ccon> Number = <ccon>468</ccon> Class = <ccon>16</ccon> State = <ccon>9</ccon> Request ID: 2e122e42-f9b5-e09c-98ba-788c95af8814. 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the issue too, but setting the locale on the affected columns didn't work either.  I have found that setting the "Enhanced Compute Engine" to Disabled for the dataflow does resolve the issue. Whether this will have any unintended consequences through, I'm not sure, but for now it resolves the issue.

WNCPBI_0-1705922217413.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

There is an option labeled "Using Locale" when you right click on a column header in Power Query. I would go through each of the columns in your tables and choose that option to update your data types. You have two different "locales" somewhere.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the issue too, but setting the locale on the affected columns didn't work either.  I have found that setting the "Enhanced Compute Engine" to Disabled for the dataflow does resolve the issue. Whether this will have any unintended consequences through, I'm not sure, but for now it resolves the issue.

WNCPBI_0-1705922217413.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors