Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JamieAU1980
Frequent Visitor

Combine multiple row fields in Power Query based on multiple other field conditions

Hi 

I've had a search of the forums, but couldn't find the answer to my question; some touched on the subject, but not to the level of complexity that I'm dealing with.

I am trying to combine the contents of multiple rows in a table, based on the values in other fields.

To give the background, our ERP system splits purchase order line descriptions (potentially multiple) & charge lines in an order table. In Power Query, I am trying to consolidate the description lines and the charge lines, so that when I create a table in Power BI, I can just add the charge line to the table and it will include the relevant description lines. This makes for a more concise table.

I have created a forumla in Excel that does what I'm after, I just can't replicate in Power Query. The excel formula I have written is:

=IF(D2="SN",G2,IF(A2&B2=A1&B1,IF(D2="DN",IF(D1="DN",I1&" "&G2,G2),I1),G2))

To summarise in words, if the po_order_no & backorder_flag is the same as the row above, if the po_line_type equals "SS" (which is the charge line), then it combines all the "DN" lines from above the "SS" line type. The "SN" if statement at the front, is just a statement to handle if the line type is a Stock Order line, which is to be excluded in the line description combination. 

JamieAU1980_2-1643316603782.png

The following is the excel based desired result, where I have filtered out the "DN" type note rows, and it then provides a concise table with all the info I need.

JamieAU1980_3-1643316635196.png

I appreciate in advance any help you can provide.

Thanks

Jamie

10 REPLIES 10
edhans
Super User
Super User

One method you can try is this:

1. Create your base query and don't load it.
  2. Add two indexes, one starting at 0, one starting at one.
  3. Create a references to that query, then merge again with that query, using the 1 index first to the 0 index. Expand only the columns you need.

You will get this:

edhans_0-1643730403762.png

now you can create a formula that only deals with one row, because each row has data from the previous row in it.

This will work well for a few thousand records, maybe more. I question its performance if you have millions of records.

You can see this in the attached Excel file. If there are millions of records, try it, but if it is too slow, post back. There is a far more complex solution that will work.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi

Sorry, it hasn't achieved what I'm after; or in the least, I'm unable to modify it for my purposes.

The "Desired Description Result" column isn't source data (although I had it in my table), it is purely what the correct combination of text that should look like when using the "Line Desc" field as the source to be combined.

I'm not sure how the index it is handling the fact that there are potentially multiple "DN" note types above an "SS" note type, that I am then trying to combine all the text (ideally with a space between lines) on the SS note type (assuming of course the PO NO. & Backorder are the same).

Hopefully the following image helps to clarify the desired result.

JamieAU1980_0-1643842528046.png

Thanks for your help

Jamie

That is a DAX solution, not Power Query. I'd use CONTATENATEX() for the measure, filtering on the current PO number, the lines that are above the line number SS is on, then concatenate the values in the Line Desc. field.

I'd need data to play with though. A clean excel file shared via OneDrive or Dropbox. I or someone else could take a crack at it.

Power Query is not designed to do column scans like you are wanting. DAX is ideally suited for that.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Hi

Hopefully this file shares ok.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/wp334z37m9ly6cfjfew2d/Combined-special-order-lines-For-Onedrive.xlsx?...

The SN type lines are ok as is, and don't need to be combined with any other lines, as for these items they have a description on the PO line itself. 

I should point out that both the "PO NO." & "Backorder" fields need to match (the line above) for the line to be valid for joining the line descriptios. I can bring in the table sorted, but essentially the line descriptions are joined on numerical sequence of "Line Seq", "DN" types down separated by a space, until a "SS" type is reached where we then want the combined descirption.

JamieAU1980_0-1643858644253.png

I hope this all makes sense, let me know if it doesn't

Cheers

Ok, I'll get a dropbox or Onedrive Account sorted and post when done.

Thanks

@JamieAU1980 - was the above helpful at all?

edhans
Super User
Super User

You didn't give us any data to work with, so I just used your Excel formula and tried to break it down. this is untested.

=IF(
	D2="SN",
	G2,
	IF(
		A2&B2=A1&B1,
			IF(
				D2="DN",
				IF(
					D1="DN",
					I1&" "&G2,
					G2
				),
			I1),
		G2)
	)
POWER QUERY EQUIVALENT
if D2 = "SN"
	then G2
	else if
		A2&B2 = A1&B1
			then (
				if D2 = "DN"
					then (
						if D1 = "DN"
							then I1&" "&G2
							else G2
						)
					else I1
				)
		else g2

When nesting if/then/else in PQ, you want the nested if to be wrapped in parenthesis. So when it sees

...then if a-1 then b else c

It knows that entire statement is what "then" should report.

...then (if a-1 then b else c)

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.

How To Ask A Technical Question If you Really Want An Answer

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link, or share an Excel/CSV file via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

Apologies, completely my fault, I didn't do the best job of explaining a crucial element.

So, for my Power BI model, I'm pulling the data through via an ODBC connection to the server, so what I am trying to do is replicate what I've done in Excel, but in a table existing in Power Query; so the same formula / cell references obviously will not work. I gather I'll need to use M to group or aggregate the rows based on conditions, but I have no idea how to do that to this extent.

Happy to share the source excel data, but not sure if that will help given what I'm trying to do is manipulate the power query table with M.

JamieAU1980_0-1643323812788.png

I understood that. You'd need to replace cell references with field names. So D2 becomes [PO Number] or whatever. No row reference needed. 

Share data in Excel, that is fine. We can do the work from there in Power Query, but have to have a good understanding of the desired result. You would then need to migrate the code to your model.

Info on what and how to share below.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.

How To Ask A Technical Question If you Really Want An Answer

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link, or share an Excel/CSV file via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

Sample Table of data shared at the bottom.

For your Power Query equivalent, I understand the majority, however, how do I refer to the row above, as I have done in Excel?

Modifying your code to the actual power query table, I get the following (untested), I'm just not sure how to include the parts of the formula that are not in the same row (in my verision of your code, essentially those parts where I have left a cell ref instead of a table field value).

I'll obviously need to change the code somewhat to also allow for the fact the my excel formula starts in row 2, as row 1 is a header row.

POWER QUERY EQUIVALENT
if [Line Type] = "SN"
	then [Line Desc]
	else if
		[PO NO.]&[Backorder] = A1&B1
			then (
				if [Line Type] = "DN"
					then (
						if D1 = "DN"
							then I1&" "&[Line Desc]
							else [Line Desc]
						)
					else I1
				)
		else [Line Desc]

PO NO.BackorderLine NO.Line TypeStock CodeSupplier Part NO.Line DescItem PriceDesired Description Result
159022 1SN38105E2955709SUSPENSION GROUP REAR20000SUSPENSION GROUP REAR
159022 3DN  CORE CHARGE0CORE CHARGE
159022 4DN  HYD CYLINDER CORE CHARGE HYD CYLINDER
159022 5SSSpecial Item  9000CORE CHARGE HYD CYLINDER
159022 7DN  RETURN CORE0RETURN CORE
159022 8SSSpecial Item  0RETURN CORE
159022 9DN   0 
159022 10SN38105E2955709SUSPENSION GROUP REAR20000SUSPENSION GROUP REAR
159022 11DN  CORE CHARGE0CORE CHARGE
159022 12SSSpecial Item  9000CORE CHARGE
159022 13DN  RETURN CORE0RETURN CORE
159022 14SSSpecial Item  0RETURN CORE
159022 17DN  AS PER QUOTE: 6489590AS PER QUOTE: 648959
159022AA7DN  RETURN CORE0RETURN CORE
159022AA8SSSpecial Item  9000RETURN CORE
159022AA9DN   0 
159022AA13DN  RETURN CORE0 RETURN CORE
159022AA13.5DN  LIFT CYLINDER  RETURN CORE LIFT CYLINDER
159022AA14SSSpecial Item  9000 RETURN CORE LIFT CYLINDER
159022AA17DN  AS PER QUOTE: 6489590AS PER QUOTE: 648959
159062 3SN51691E374-2278XCYLINDER GROUP DUAL TILT LH8138.4CYLINDER GROUP DUAL TILT LH
159062 4DN  CORE CHARGE0CORE CHARGE

JamieAU1980_0-1643327755262.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors