Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

gjadal
Employee
Employee

Best practices on Modelling data to be consumed by PowerBI report

Is there any good documentation on how to model my data to be consumed by PowerBI report?

I want to know what are some of the best practices that will allow me to explore data in a flexible way?

2 REPLIES 2
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

The Tabular engine underpinning the Power BI data model is largely model agnostic. Anything that can be represented well as a series of tables and relationships can function with the engine.

That being said, for ease of use and and consumption by end users, a dimensional model is far and away the best. I truly don't know of any better resources than the Kimball dimensional modelling books. If you're serious about building good models, you should read these. There are some things that I don't agree with the Kimball group on, but as a foundation, they can't be beaten.

Another worthwhile resource to check out is powerpivotpro.com, especially the archives, as some of the older posts would really dive into tactical design tips for the Tabular model. I don't find the site to be a good resource for general dimensional modelling, as that's not the goal. The goal is to advocate for Power Pivot and show value in specific business scenarios. If you can find an example that maps well to your own domain, then it is very helpful.

Another great blog worth reading is sqlbi.com. They cover some of the best modelling and design patterns specifically for DAX and Tabular.

While greggyb is correct, I think it is also a bit overkill to ask someone to read several books. 

I would recommend you search online for a tutorial or introduction to "Star Schema". I found this, which at a glance seemed good. This is what greggyb refers to as "Dimensional modelling" and is the way to do it.

I think of them as an arrangment where facts are in the middle and dimensions around. Facts are tables of transactions, where nothing has to be unique. Dimensions are translation tables with background information where something has to be unique. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors