Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

l1800turbo
Regular Visitor

Adding column values from other table for empty cells

Hello,

I'm building a table where I fetch data from an SQL database. In this table some values are empty (=null).

For these empty cells I want to add values from another table, but they should only be inserted on empty cells.

My current approach after hours was iterating over all columns that can contain cells with possible null values to be replaced and running a small function. In the function I replace all empty values with the values of the other table.

This is my current idea, it's working, but terribly slow and takes minutes to process.

Replacer = (TableRef as table, ColumnName) =>
        Table.ReplaceValue(
        TableRef,
        each null,
        each
            let
                currentMatNr = [MatNr]
            in
                List.First(
                    Table.Column(
                        Table.SelectRows(Simulation_Database_TSA_tmp, each [MatNr] = currentMatNr),
                        ColumnName
                    )
                ),
        Replacer.ReplaceValue,
        {ColumnName}
    ),

TSA_Columns = {"H", "TAMAX", "TJMAX", "RTHJA"},

TSA_DB_Add3=List.Accumulate(TSA_Columns, TSA_DB_Add2, (param_seed, param_list)=>Replacer(param_seed, param_list)),

I'm quite sure there are much better ways, maybe someone has an idea for this.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
l1800turbo
Regular Visitor

Hello,

thank you for the answers!

@BA_Pete : Unfortunately one is SQL and the other table is Excel from a Sharepoint. Otherwise a direct SQL Query would be the best, for sure!

@wdx223_Daniel : Could you explain the function a little bit? MatNr is a unique column.

I tried your proposal, but I got an error, especially the part

a{[MatNr=[MatNr]]}? ??[]

is unclear to me. PowerQuery marks a as unknown, I don't know this kind of condition to look up the meaning. At first it looked like a short IF like in C, but I couldn't find anything similar, so far.

Thank you!

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

if the table of Simulation_Database_TSA_tmp is unique in the column of MatNr, then

TSA_DB_Add3=let a=Table.Buffer(Simulation_Database_TSA_tmp) in Table.FromRecords(Table.TrandformRows(TSA_DB_Add2,each Record.TransformFields(_,List.Transform(TSA_Columns,(x)=>{x, each Record.FieldOrDefault(a{[MatNr=[MatNr]]}? ??[],x,null)}),2)))

if not, then

TSA_DB_Add3=let a=Table.Buffer(Table.Group(Simulation_Database_TSA_tmp,"MatNr",{"n",each _{0}})) in Table.FromRecords(Table.TrandformRows(TSA_DB_Add2,each Record.TransformFields(_,List.Transform(TSA_Columns,(x)=>{x, each Record.FieldOrDefault(a{[MatNr=[MatNr]]}?[n]? ??[],x,null)}),2)))

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @l1800turbo ,

Is the table that you want to get the replacement values from on the same SQL server/database as the one with the nulls? If it is then it would be significantly faster to just merge the two tables and create new conditional columns as

if [originalTableCol] = null then [otherTableCol] else [originalTableCol]

This would fold back to the server so would be processed in a heartbeat.

Even if you can't get it to fold, I'm thinking this method could be quicker than your custom function anyway.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors