Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

troybos

Add days to date in PowerQuery

I need some assistance with an if statement I need to create in Excel Power Query. The issue I am having is adding days to a date in the condition portion of the if statement. I'm not sure how to write that. Here is what I have that doesn't work...

if Date.AddDays([Date_example],-30) < #date(2024,7,1)
  then Date.AddDays([Date_example],-44)
  else Date.AddDays([Date_example],-29)

It tells me the code is correct but when I close the code window, I get an error in the column, and it tells me that it can't apply the < operator. Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @troybos 

According to the error message, the error occurs because the data on both sides of  "<" sign are of different types. From the screenshot, it seems you don't change the data type with Power Query, so I guess that you may have changed the date column to date format in Excel, however its values are probably still in datetime type, which may cause this error. For example,

vjingzhanmsft_2-1706162031767.png

To resolve this error, you can add a step to change the date column to date type in Power Query Editor before adding the custom column. 

vjingzhanmsft_0-1706161677431.png

In addition, when you add this custom column, modify the last ELSE result to null instead of "".

vjingzhanmsft_1-1706161815100.png

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @troybos ,

I tried your code with an example in Power BIs Power Query and it worked out well:

tackytechtom_0-1706126805759.png

Could it be that your Date_example column is of the wrong data type (not a date column)?

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

I checked and my Date_Example column is of the type "Date".  I found another error regarding null values but have fixed that and am now back to the operator error.  Here is my current code and the error message I am getting.

troybos_0-1706139913893.png

troybos_1-1706139946041.png

Hi @troybos 

According to the error message, the error occurs because the data on both sides of  "<" sign are of different types. From the screenshot, it seems you don't change the data type with Power Query, so I guess that you may have changed the date column to date format in Excel, however its values are probably still in datetime type, which may cause this error. For example,

vjingzhanmsft_2-1706162031767.png

To resolve this error, you can add a step to change the date column to date type in Power Query Editor before adding the custom column. 

vjingzhanmsft_0-1706161677431.png

In addition, when you add this custom column, modify the last ELSE result to null instead of "".

vjingzhanmsft_1-1706161815100.png

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

@v-jingzhan-msft 

Thank you this worked. 

@tackytechtom  You were correct, it was the date type that was wrong.  I have this query merged with another and I had changed the date type to "date" in the merged query but not in this primary query.

Thank you all for your assistance.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

What's the full error message?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors