Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI gateway administration

Hi,

I am about to set up a gateway and wonder, if I should create a dedicated O365 user with Power BI pro license for the gateway setup and data sources.

We got a department working with PowerBI and the staff there has a high turnover. So I want to avoid loosing any administrative power over the gateway setup and data sources specified by setting up the gateway with a Power BI Pro licensed user which then leaves and the license is withdrawn.

Any experience or thoughts on this? I would like to save a Power BI pro license, but loosing the on-premise datasource because an employee leaves would be worse.

Best

Martin

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Mond,

I refer to on-premises gateway and on-premises gateway(personal mode). Free users can refresh their reports/dashboard with enterprise gateway.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@Mond,

Yes.

And when they are added as gateway administrator, they can add data sources within gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

It doesn't require license to use gateway now, Power BI free users can also use data gateway. For more details, please review this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-premium/ .

In addition, you can add users on the Administrators tab for the registered gateway, this way, users can administer the gateway even the employee leaves. For more details, please review this article.

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft (Lydia),

It doesn't require license to use gateway now, Power BI free users can also use data gateway

Which data gateway are you referring to, as an admin, I can create Enterprise Gateway and will Power BI Free users refresh their reports/dashboards with enterprise gateway.

@Mond,

I refer to on-premises gateway and on-premises gateway(personal mode). Free users can refresh their reports/dashboard with enterprise gateway.

Regards,

Hi Lydia,

I guess free users can refresh dashboards/reports only when they are added in the enterprise gateway (data source setting  > users ).

Regards,

@Mond,

Yes.

And when they are added as gateway administrator, they can add data sources within gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I installed now the gateway with a Power BI pro user, for now, just to be sure that the data sources are generated with that account. I will try to switch over to free and see what happens with a test instance. 

Thanks for the answer.

Best

Martin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, that reminds me that I was not specific enough. It is a shared gateway, hence not a personal one and needs to access our on-premise SQL server. Apparently with the free license we cannot do this, but if you say that even with the free license I can set up the gateway (non-personal), then I will give it a try. Thanks.

@Anonymous,

Based on my test, with Power BI free account, we can set up on-premises gateway, and also we can add other free users as administrator of the gateway as described in my first reply.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors