Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

LisaChung
Frequent Visitor

Visualization for order status

Hi,

Wonder how I could find the similar visualization like this?order.PNG

(with the status on the top and add information, such as quantity and value)

Now what I could find is Gantt chart, but it may not meet the requirements to track order status.

Kindly ask your help in this.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @LisaChung,

There's currently no such visual that can do this that doesn't come with an additional cost - the Visio custom visual can do it but you'll need at least one Visio license to author the layout that you'll need to load into the visual.

However if you always want to show the same statuses irrespective of totals actually being available for your filter context, you could set this up using a number of cards and a layout image.

A lot of articles are geared on doing this for the whole report background but you can use it for a small part of the page and overlay the cards. Here's a couple of articles that help underpin the concept better than I can:

This approach is not as convenient as having a ready-made visual, but does ultimately give you more control over the look and feel of your version, and as long as each placeholder is designed correctly - it should respond nicely to any slicers on the page, too.

I made a quick version of your design, using the Customer Profitability sample report data, and the Division attribute as my "status". It's not 100% accurate, but you should be able be to tweak accordingly:

Finished productFinished product

I'll explain my method below and hopefully this will give you some ideas:

• Use a tool to create your background image. For expediency, I used PowerPoint SmartArt to create the chevrons, and then I then right-click and Save As Picture, e.g.:SImple background created using PowerPointSImple background created using PowerPoint
  • In Power BI Desktop import the image, e.g.:
    Image imported into Power BI DesktopImage imported into Power BI Desktop
  • To illustrate the count, I created a measure as follows. This produces the result in the number format you have in your spec, but you can modify as appropriate to match your requirements:

Division Total = 
    FORMAT(COUNTROWS(BU) + 0, "(0)")​

• We can test this by adding a card to the report, e.g.:
    Output of measure for all dataOutput of measure for all data
  • I now add a filter for this visual for Division and set it to Core, e.g.:
    Filter applied to card for categoryFilter applied to card for category
  • I'll now drag this over the image and format it to suit, e.g.:
    Card - formatted and positionedCard - formatted and positioned
  • Repeat the above steps to complete the other statuses. I do this by copy/pasting the card and changing the filter on each, e.g.:
    All cards overlaid and set up with appropriate visual filtersAll cards overlaid and set up with appropriate visual filters
  • We use a similar trick for the financials - add your measure to a card, and filter and style accordingly, e.g.:
    Adding revenue measuresAdding revenue measures
  • I then add in the lines between each status as shapes, although you can do this in the layout image if you so wish.
  • To finish off, I'll group all elements together, to make them easier to move around, e.g.:

Here's a shareable link of the report I used above for you to download if you want to take a further look.

I hope this gives you some ideas on how to solve your challenge. Good luck!

Daniel

If my post helps, then please consider accepting as a solution to help other forum members find the answer more quickly 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @LisaChung,

There's currently no such visual that can do this that doesn't come with an additional cost - the Visio custom visual can do it but you'll need at least one Visio license to author the layout that you'll need to load into the visual.

However if you always want to show the same statuses irrespective of totals actually being available for your filter context, you could set this up using a number of cards and a layout image.

A lot of articles are geared on doing this for the whole report background but you can use it for a small part of the page and overlay the cards. Here's a couple of articles that help underpin the concept better than I can:

This approach is not as convenient as having a ready-made visual, but does ultimately give you more control over the look and feel of your version, and as long as each placeholder is designed correctly - it should respond nicely to any slicers on the page, too.

I made a quick version of your design, using the Customer Profitability sample report data, and the Division attribute as my "status". It's not 100% accurate, but you should be able be to tweak accordingly:

I'll explain my method below and hopefully this will give you some ideas:

• Use a tool to create your background image. For expediency, I used PowerPoint SmartArt to create the chevrons, and then I then right-click and Save As Picture, e.g.:SImple background created using PowerPointSImple background created using PowerPoint
  • In Power BI Desktop import the image, e.g.:
    Image imported into Power BI DesktopImage imported into Power BI Desktop
  • To illustrate the count, I created a measure as follows. This produces the result in the number format you have in your spec, but you can modify as appropriate to match your requirements:

Division Total = 
    FORMAT(COUNTROWS(BU) + 0, "(0)")​

• We can test this by adding a card to the report, e.g.:
    Output of measure for all dataOutput of measure for all data
  • I now add a filter for this visual for Division and set it to Core, e.g.:
    Filter applied to card for categoryFilter applied to card for category
  • I'll now drag this over the image and format it to suit, e.g.:
    Card - formatted and positionedCard - formatted and positioned
  • Repeat the above steps to complete the other statuses. I do this by copy/pasting the card and changing the filter on each, e.g.:
    All cards overlaid and set up with appropriate visual filtersAll cards overlaid and set up with appropriate visual filters
  • We use a similar trick for the financials - add your measure to a card, and filter and style accordingly, e.g.:
    Adding revenue measuresAdding revenue measures
  • I then add in the lines between each status as shapes, although you can do this in the layout image if you so wish.
  • To finish off, I'll group all elements together, to make them easier to move around, e.g.:

Here's a shareable link of the report I used above for you to download if you want to take a further look.

I hope this gives you some ideas on how to solve your challenge. Good luck!

Daniel

If my post helps, then please consider accepting as a solution to help other forum members find the answer more quickly 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.