Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

lsingh
Regular Visitor

Trying to Connect to Gateway for Auto Refreshes: URGENT

Hi,

can you please help me with this? 

I am trying to connect my power BI to > AWS windows machine as a gateway > this connects to AWS RDS MySQL db to allow data refreshes....

I have set up an ODBC on AWS Windows machine and configured it....but when trying to link my POWER BI Gateway to my AWS machine it does not let me add data source?

How do i achieve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @lsingh,

Please make sure the Connection String used in data gateway is the same as the one in .PBIX file.

q2.PNG

Also verify if only this ODBC data source "midb" used in this .PBIX file.  

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lsingh,

If I understand correctly, you create a ODBC which connects to AWS RDS MySQL db. And you want to add this ODBC in the on-premise data gateway, right?

In your scenario, did you install the on-premise data gateway on the same server where ODBC exists? When you add the ODBC data source in data gateway, which error throws out?

By the way, there is no OOTB feature for us to connect to AWS RDS SQL Server data source both in Power BI Desktop and Service currently. Please vote on this idea: AWS RDS SQL Server data source.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thanks for getting back @v-qiuyu-msft

thats correct i ahve created ODBC etc and created a successfull connection from POWER BI online and my AWS windwos machine....

however the issue I am havign now is.....when tryin to assign a gateway to my dataset in power BI online.. the gateway option stays disabled.....

My AWS ODBC connection is called midb... 

I puplished the reporting from lcoal pc but the ODBC is called midb....

when adding gateway and datasource power bi online I have also called the my data source midb so it picks it up...

but under dataset schedule refresh data gateway is greyed out? any solution? anything I have done wrong here? 

Hi @lsingh,

Please make sure the Connection String used in data gateway is the same as the one in .PBIX file.

q2.PNG

Also verify if only this ODBC data source "midb" used in this .PBIX file.  

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Got it working now....Many thanks your advise helped me get on the right route

bascially I had to pass connection string manually in the editing query option when creating a report and selecting a ODBC data source...so instead i left that data source to none and passed connection strings manually. 

e.g.

Driver={MySQL ODBC 5.3 Unicode Driver};Server=SERVERNAME;Database=DBNAME;

Thanks...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.