Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

djwbaker
Frequent Visitor

TSQL power bi API in SSMS

Hi Has anyone been able to query Power bi datasets using TSQL in SSMS?
I can use MDX, DAx And XMLA. But i cant seem to activate the TSQL option, any ideas?

cheers Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @djwbaker,

AFAIK, power bi rest API does not include t-SQL operate features.
Perhaps you can try to use SQL connector with an advanced t-sql statement and parametrize with query parameter then you can use rest api to modify them on the power bi service side.

Power Query SQL Server connector | Microsoft Docs

Using the Power BI Service Parameters to change connection strings (To possibly change between Dev 

Datasets - Update Parameters - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @djwbaker,

AFAIK, power bi rest API does not include t-SQL operate features.
Perhaps you can try to use SQL connector with an advanced t-sql statement and parametrize with query parameter then you can use rest api to modify them on the power bi service side.

Power Query SQL Server connector | Microsoft Docs

Using the Power BI Service Parameters to change connection strings (To possibly change between Dev 

Datasets - Update Parameters - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @djwbaker,

Power BI data models are not conventional SQL database tables, and rather Analysis Services (Tabular) models. As such, T-SQL is not a valid way to query them, whereas MDX/DAX/XMLA are all appropriate languages suitable for doing this. As such SSMS will not enable T-SQL here, but enable the others, as you're experiencing.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.