Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI REST API: Problems exporting multi-page reports with bookmarks

Hi,

I'm using the Export To File In Group REST endpoint to export a multi-page report with bookmarks to PNG, and I'm running into problems.

Basically, during a export request I want to render each page in the report in the same filter state, as specified by a bookmark. The bookmarks in the report only memorize the state of the filters ("Data").

I've obtained the identifying bookmark names (NOT the displayNames) using the PowerBI Javascript API. I'm not selecting the bookmarks using the bookmark state.

I have encountered the following problems when exporting:

• Supplying the bookmark as the defaultBookmark for all the pages doesn't have any effect. It's completely ignored.
  • If, as a workaround, I request each report page explicitly ,requesting the same bookmark each time, then the bookmark is respected, but each of the exported PNG files becomes an exact copy of the first report page! This doesn't happen when not requesting any bookmark; in that case each PNG reflects its proper page.

Is there any solution or workaround for these problems?

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

My understanding of bookmarks is different (not necessarily correct 🙂  ) - I think of them as being locked to certain filter snapshots for a page.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Create and specify separate bookmarks for each of the pages you want to export with the applied filters.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion. That should work, although it'll become onerous for reports with many pages.

Just to confirm: the current behaviour isn't the intended one, or is it? In theory Data-only bookmarks shouldn't remember the current page. And the default bookmark for an export request should apply to all pages exported within the request.

I believe there formerly was a warning in the REST API documentation to the effect that identifying a bookmark by name didn't work yet, but the warning has since been removed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors