Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

pvila89

Connecting PowerBI Embedded to SQL Server

Hi,

I am having problems when I try to get data from an SQL server using Power BI embedded.

The scenario is the following:

I have implemented a MVC application that integrates PowerBI embedded. It works when I am getting data from a SQL Azure, but is not working when the data comes from a SQL Server. The error given is the following:

"Your data gateway (Power BI – personal) is offline, but a data gateway is available."

Is there any way to make it work?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

There is not gateway support for on-premise sql server database using PowerBi Embedded. 

Power BI Embedded only support azure databases with direct connection and direct connection/scheduled refresh will not be supported for on-premises databases using gateway

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mpo
Helper II
Helper II

I think PowerBI Embedded requires an on-premises gateway to be set up in order to connect to your own data source. Are you using that?

Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

There is not gateway support for on-premise sql server database using PowerBi Embedded. 

Power BI Embedded only support azure databases with direct connection and direct connection/scheduled refresh will not be supported for on-premises databases using gateway

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.