Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding service principal directly to the workspace as an admin gives me an error

Hi!

I am trying to add Service Principal (app registration) to workspace users. 

I am using AccessToken generated for PowerBI Service principals with granted permission: 

gryczanu_0-1648207797716.png

Here is a PowerShell code which I use to add Service Princpal to worksapce users

$Headers = @{Authorization = "Bearer $AccessToken"}

$Body = @{
    identifier = $AdObjectIdentifier
    groupUserAccessRight ="Admin"
    principalType"App"
}
Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $Uri -Headers $Headers -Method Post -ContentType "application/json" -Body (ConvertTo-Json $Body)  

$AdObjectIdentifier is an Azure ObejctId for App Registarion that I want to add to the worksapce users 

I am geting  an error: 

The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.

{"error":{"code":"InvalidRequest","message":"Failed to get service principal details from AAD."}}

I can add AAD group to workspace (when $AdObjectIdentifier = AAD Obejct ID), but not Service principal, why? 

Please, help me to understand this. 

Thanks, 

Urszula

5 REPLIES 5
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Note:

Service principals have access to any tenant settings they're enabled for. Depending on your admin settings, this includes specific security groups or the entire organization.

Please check whether you have added your Security Group which has added the service principal as a member into the tenant setting.

1.png

You may check the steps in the offical blog to learn more details.

For referencce: Embed Power BI content with service principal and an application secret

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-rzhou-msft  I have checked, group (service princiapl which I wanted to add belongs to this group) are added below developers seetings. Sitll I am getting thsi error. Do you have any advise?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Your tenant admin may need to allow Service Principals to be used in the tenant.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin Could you please explain me this a bit more? 

talk to your tenant admin about the settings on your tenant.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.