Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

TomThys
Frequent Visitor

strange behaviour rolling 12 months cummulated numbers

I'm facing a rather strange problem wich i'm unable to find a solution for.

i have a 

Diagram that compares rolling 12month sales for the last 3 years.

when i plot this on the month based on the month number it is showing nicely.

TomThys_0-1702913061119.png

But when i want to put the same date in a matrix but without the use of the month's i'm getting cummulated numbers:

TomThys_1-1702913133747.png

is there anybody that can get me in the correct direction to find out what is going on.

I know when i put a date in the rows as first the output is correct but i do not want a date in the column.
just to clarify YTD = Rolling12months in this report and is build like:

YTD 2023 = 
VAR _EndDate = TODAY()
VAR _StartDate = EDATE(_yesterday, -12)
RETURN

CALCULATE( [Totale sales INV],  'Boekjaar INV'[Date]>=_StartDate && 'Boekjaar INV'[Date] <= _EndDate)

1 REPLY 1
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@TomThys 

As a best practice, when you are working with dates, add a date dimension in your model and use it for time intelligence calculations. Once the date dimension is added, mark it as a date table on table tools. Check the related videos on my YT channel

Add Date Dimension
Importance of Date Dimension
Mark date dimension as a date table - why and how?
Time Intelligence Playlist

What do you expect the output to be in the matrix visual? Do you think the line visual is working as expected?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.