Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jwi1
Post Patron
Post Patron

row numbering wrong/ how to calculate

Hi all,

below is a simple table.

I want to calculate the values in the column difference.

Preferably in power query.

the difference between 2 and 1 = 1

the difference between 3 and 2 = 1

the difference between 5 and 3 = 2

etc.

How you can give me some guidance how to do that.

Thanks!

John

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ribisht17
Super User
Super User
4 REPLIES 4
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Added an Index column and put following formula in a custom column

=try [number]-#"Added Index"[number]{[Index]-1} otherwise 0

See the working here - Open a blank query - Home - Advanced Editor - Remove everything from there and paste the below code to test

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMgKTxmDSFEyag0kLMGkJJg0NlGJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [number = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"number", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "difference", each try [number]-#"Added Index"[number]{[Index]-1} otherwise 0, type number),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Index"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Please check the below picture and the attached pbix file.

I tried to do this in Power Query Editor by clicking UI.

Untitled.png

The below is the copy from the Advaned Editor.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMgKTxmDSFEyag0kLMGkJJg0NlGJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Number = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Number", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Added Index", "Index.1", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index1", {"Index.1"}, #"Added Index1", {"Index"}, "Added Index1", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Added Index1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Added Index1", {"Number"}, {"Added Index1.Number"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Expanded Added Index1",{{"Number", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Custom", each if [Added Index1.Number] = null then 0 else 
[Number]-[Added Index1.Number]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Index", "Index.1", "Added Index1.Number"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type1",{{"Custom", "Difference"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

ribisht17
Super User
Super User

Hi @ribisht17 , @Vijay_A_Verma , @Jihwan_Kim 

problem solved, thank you!

John

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.