Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

revansh
Helper IV
Helper IV

loops in powerbi

Hi All,

I am facing below modelling issue in POWERBI.

I have 2 tablles (SALES ACTUALS and TARGETS tables)  and 2 dimension tables (STATE and DATE) . I am not able to join 2 lookup tables with ACTUALs and TARGETS table because it will form a loop.

Similar to the situation below. Article explained 2 ways but i am not very clear. please provide your inputs.

Thanks

If you have a table pattern like this, with loops, then cross filtering can create an ambiguous set of relationships. For instance, if you sum up a field from TableX and then choose to filter by a field on TableY, then it’s not clear how the filter should travel, through the top table or the bottom table. A common example for this kind of pattern is TableX to be a Sales table with actuals data and for TableY to be budget data. Then, the tables in the middle are lookup tables that both tables use, such as Division or Region. 

Just like with active/inactive relationships, Power BI Desktop won’t allow a relationship to be set as Both if it will create ambiguity in reports. There are several different ways you can deal with this, here are the two most common:

• Delete or mark relationships as inactive to reduce ambiguity. Then you might be able to set a relationship cross filtering as Both.

• Bring in a table twice (with a different name the second time) to eliminate loops.  This makes the pattern of relationships like a star schema.  With a star schema all of the relationships can be set to Both.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@revansh,

You can take a look at the following similar thread and blogs to create relationship between your tables. If you still have issues when creating the relationship, please post a screenshot about your scenario and post the full error message.

Data model loop: cant point 2 transaction dates to DateTable
Why Is My Relationship Inactive in Power BI Desktop?
Multiple many-to-many relationships Puzzle

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

please have a look at both of these links, and describe more clearly, why you can't adopt these patterns to your model, you also may consider to provide some sample data

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.