Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to find AD groups' email id created in O365

Hi All,

I am facing some issues while trying to implement RLS through AD group on my data. I have all the connections and everything in place, but at the final step where I would need to add the email id of those AD groups to the power bi service, I am not able to find that particular email id which would be mapped to the groups.

The AD groups are created in O365 and have generous amount of users tagged to each group.

Was able to find the group name and user names and the user ids, but just that group email id is missing.

Now, is it really this important to get the group email ids for RLS or am I doing something wrong here while trying to make RLS.

I have been following 

https://www.fourmoo.com/2018/02/20/dynamic-row-level-security-is-easy-with-active-directory-security...

and

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-leverage-Active-Directory-to-filter-the-data-in-Powe...

links religiously, but in the former link, author does not tells how is he getting the group email ids whereas in the latter, the author is still adding individual names on the power bi service after doing everything in Power BI. 

Can anybody please help me in this

Thanks a lot in advance

@GilbertQ @parry2k @amitchandak @Cmcmahan @Greg_Deckler @Icey 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, I finally figured that the clients did not have the groups synced with the Azure AD because of which I was not able to see them in Power BI service. I was under the impression that only email ids (be it inidividual or groups) go into the Power BI service to assign roles, that's why I was running behind getting te email ids. Turns out we can enter group names as well.

Clients have synced them now and it is working fine

Thanks for helping

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Note that you should use the distribution list/security group when you implement the RLS

would you like to get below group email?

7.PNG

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Yes, I am trying to implement RLS on security groups.

And yes, looking for something similar, but through Active Directory option while doing 'Get Data'

This is the place where we can check anything for an AD, Users, groups, computers etc. I am looking for email id of the security groups

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous 

Kindly check below whether helps:

https://www.fourmoo.com/2018/02/20/dynamic-row-level-security-is-easy-with-active-directory-security-groups/ 

https://matt40k.uk/2016/06/getting-a-list-of-ad-groups-and-their-members-using-powerquery/ 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, I finally figured that the clients did not have the groups synced with the Azure AD because of which I was not able to see them in Power BI service. I was under the impression that only email ids (be it inidividual or groups) go into the Power BI service to assign roles, that's why I was running behind getting te email ids. Turns out we can enter group names as well.

Clients have synced them now and it is working fine

Thanks for helping

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for your updates! Please kindly mark your answer as a solution that makes others find it more quickly.

quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.