Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dobregon
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

dataset increase 700mb in one day

Hi,

I have a largest dataset (with 85M of rows) and i have a problem. We have the report published in the service and the size was 630mb on the 30th of Nov, but in the next autorefresh of the powerbi service on the 1st of Dec it receives a lot of timeouts (sql) and a part of that the size limte of 1gb. I have tried to refresh in my desktop and the file increase 700mb and now has 1.3Gb of file when the dataset didnt change in these days.

There was an unpdate in the powerbi or something that could produce this? i have checked both files (old and new) with the dax studio size analysis and they are simular but one with 630mb and the other with 1.3gb.

Can someone help me on this?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)
4 REPLIES 4
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@dobregon 
Are you sure there were no in-model changes? Sometimes, if there is a high degree of uniqueness, simply edit visuals or adding a single column/row to a huge table can cause increase.

Paul

@V-pazhen-msft Yes, completely sure. becasue i have the old pbi before crash memory and the new refresing same dates and everthing, and takin the dax studio, the number of rows are the same.

As I have done during this week is to optimize the powerbi, removing columns and adding with the powerquery. With that i have reduced from the 1300mb to 485mb that it is very good. But i dont know the reason to the increase that i had from 650mb to 1300mb with the old columns and everthing, but now... my file is more optimized and i think this is a good news.

A good video to how affect the column is 

In any case, i have another problem that every time that i try to take valeus from the SQL for a big view that i have since the 1st of December i receive timeouts in the query when normally this not happens and the number of rows are the same. is it anything that have changed in the 30th Nov (last update of PowerBI)?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@dobregon , keep a backup of the file. In option and setting, there is an open to clear cache. Clear that and try. Also, check, if there are date in future like year 2999 or very big year, these can cause date hierarchy to go big

@amitchandak  thanks for the response, i see the catche, but this affects to the powerbi service?

I have in parallel my old version and new version of the file (the only difference is one is refreshed and the other not) and it psoruces de increase in 700mb.

checking, my biggest column (values) it having the same size... but the other columns that it take from other tables to this have increase the x2, x3 when the file or my database change. This is very strange for me, becasue i didnt change the file neither the databse and i have the problem

@amitchandak I have remove cache but my file has similar size.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.