Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

finley0726
Frequent Visitor

adding DAX measures as part of a rubric, visualization exceeds resources available

I need to calculate a compliance score that has many parts based on a rubric. For example, one measure inside the compliance score is training completion. If the average training progress is below 70%, 1 point is added to the overall compliance score. There are about 8 other metrics like this one. For this example, I have a measure 'avg_training_progress' to calculate the average and then I have a second measure called 'training_score' that is =1 if 'avg_training_progress' is < 70%. The end goal is to add up the training score as well as the other scores to get the compliance score. I've calculated a 'compliance_score' measure that is just = [training_score] + [score 2] + [score 3] + etc.... and I can visualize it in a table just fine. However, when I try to filter to show any  compliance_score that's less than 5, it says 'visual exceeds available resources'. I am not understanding why the error would occur after I've filtered the visual further. If any one has solutions for a better way to write the compliance_score calculation or to optimize otherwise it would be greatly appreciated 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @finley0726 ,

Please see this thread.
Solved: Visual exceeded available resources error in Power...

Consider use variables: Variables can help you break down complex calculations into smaller parts, making your DAX code more readable and efficien; Make use of row context, filter context, and evaluation context to optimize your calculations ([score 2], [score 3]...The filtering context of a variable can be computed in one variable if it is the same)

Functions like SUMX, AVERAGEX, and COUNTX can be resource-intensive. Use them only when necessary and consider alternatives like SUM, AVERAGE, and COUNT() (If the base is large).

Optimization guide for Power BI

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @finley0726 ,

Please see this thread.
Solved: Visual exceeded available resources error in Power...

Consider use variables: Variables can help you break down complex calculations into smaller parts, making your DAX code more readable and efficien; Make use of row context, filter context, and evaluation context to optimize your calculations ([score 2], [score 3]...The filtering context of a variable can be computed in one variable if it is the same)

Functions like SUMX, AVERAGEX, and COUNTX can be resource-intensive. Use them only when necessary and consider alternatives like SUM, AVERAGE, and COUNT() (If the base is large).

Optimization guide for Power BI

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.