Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dd96
Frequent Visitor

add a custom column and set the value of custom column for new rows added via incremental refresh

I wam able to create one custom 'Name' column for one table and able to set value 'U1' for all the rows available in the table for custom column. The table is imported via 'import' mode. 

i have setup incremental refresh on daily basis.

How can I set the same value 'U1'  for the custom coulmn 'Name' automatically for all new rows which will be added to the table after every incremental refresh. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dd96 ,

It seems I have understood you meaning. You can create a custom column in the Power Query. If the time is between Rangestart and Rangend, the custom row will appear on the Service. After you publish the pbix to the Service, please republish again.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dd96
Frequent Visitor

hi @v-rongtiep-msft , 

Thanks for the reply ! 

I am adding the value 'U1' for the custom column manually and as soon as the table refreshes on incremental basis, all the new rows should popoulate 'U1' value for the custom column. 

The value 'U1' is not coming from data source so i am looking for a way to write some sort of query which sets the value for custom column for all new rows added after refresh. 

let me know if this clarifies my question. 

Thank you. 

Hi @dd96 ,

It seems I have understood you meaning. You can create a custom column in the Power Query. If the time is between Rangestart and Rangend, the custom row will appear on the Service. After you publish the pbix to the Service, please republish again.

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dd96 ,

Do you want to refresh the data in the custom column?  Please learn more about incremental refresh.

With each subsequent refresh, the query filters return only those rows within the refresh period dynamically defined by the parameters. Those rows with a date/time within the refresh period are refreshed. Rows with a date/time no longer within the refresh period then become part of the historical period, which is not refreshed. If a real-time DirectQuery partition is included in the incremental refresh policy, its filter is also updated so that it picks up any changes that occurred after the refresh period. Both the refresh and historical periods are rolled forward. As new incremental refresh partitions are created, refresh partitions no longer in the refresh period become historical partitions. Over time, historical partitions become less granular as they are merged together. When a historical partition is no longer in the historical period defined by the policy, it is removed from the dataset entirely. This is known as a rolling window pattern.

vpollymsft_0-1666839180200.png

More details: Incremental refresh for datasets and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please provide more details.

Best Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.