Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

rydajo96
Helper II
Helper II

YOY Growth

Hi, 

I have successfully managed to plot the year on year growth as shown below. However, how do I get rid of the 100% in the 2019 column under the YOY and variance?

rydajo96_0-1669628947287.png

Also r, if I select a particular year say 2020, it is not showing the revenue PY from 2019. Is there a way to fix this? My current fix is to select both 2019 and 2020 to show 2019 number. 

rydajo96_1-1669629220051.png

10 REPLIES 10
Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @rydajo96 ,

Please use the following approach:

Revenue_YoY Variance =
var var_RevenueCurrentYear = [Revenue_Total]
var var_RevenuePreviousYear = [Revenue_PY]

RETURN
IF(
   ISBLANK(var_RevenuePreviousYear),
   BLANK(),
   DIVIDE(var_RevenueCurrentYear,var_RevenuePreviousYear) - 1
)

Best regards

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your thumbs up!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread.

LinkedIn

------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!

Hi @Mikelytics it doesnt seem to return what is intended 😕

rydajo96_0-1669630101395.png

@rydajo96 

sorry I think it was a misunderstandin. THe measure I sent you was meant to be used as your percentage measure 🙂

so please do your Revenue_YoY variance mwasure as it was and then please replace the fomrula for the measure Revenue_YoY variance %

Revenue_YoY Variance % =
var var_RevenueCurrentYear = [Revenue_Total]
var var_RevenuePreviousYear = [Revenue_PY]

RETURN
IF(
   ISBLANK(var_RevenuePreviousYear),
   BLANK(),
   DIVIDE(var_RevenueCurrentYear,var_RevenuePreviousYear) - 1
)

Best regards

Michael

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your thumbs up!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread.

LinkedIn

Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!

@rydajo96 

Can you plese also show your PY measure so that I can help you solving the second issue?

Best regards

Michael

Hi @Mikelytics thanks for the quick reply. Let me try your first solution out. In the meantime this is formula used for the PY:

Revenue_PY = CALCULATE([Revenue_Total],DATEADD('Product Pivot'[Date].[Date],-1,YEAR))

@rydajo96 

I think I know the reason for the secod topic. Can you please elaborate how you filter on the years? Do you use a separate table?

Do you have a proper date table in your data model? It would be could to see the data model (in best case screenshot) as well as a description on which tables and which columns you set the filters.

Best regards

Michael

@Mikelytics for the date table its within the same table - only one table is used. so the table included a date column as well. no external table is used. 

@rydajo96 

Can you please show a sample. Because iof there is only one table and a date column how do you filter on year?

rydajo96_0-1669630466960.png

it is something like this 

Please try:

Revenue_PY = 
CALCULATE([Revenue_Total],
   DATEADD('Product Pivot'[Date],-1,YEAR),
   ALL('Product Pivot'[FY])
)

If this does not work please start working with date table. It is THE most recommended practice and it makes your life so much easier on long-term.

Best regards

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.