Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

markovuc
Regular Visitor

What this code actailly do?

I dont understand what do code Grand Total= Calculate([Total obtained marks], ALL (Marks[Subject])) ? Please check screen shot. Calculate removes filters in visual and I dont understand what ALL do. It removes the same filter as calculate subjects???534548.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@markovuc 

Imagine you have a formula to calculate the total marks obtained, and it takes into account different subjects. Now, if you use the CALCULATE function with ALL(Marks[Subject]) as an argument, it's like telling the formula to ignore the influence of the subject filter. So, on each row, you get the total marks without being influenced by the specific subject, giving you a broader picture across all subjects.

Hope that clarifies it! If you have any specific questions or need more examples, feel free to ask.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@markovuc 

In your formula, Caculate is used to modify how your measure [Total obtained marks] is evaluated. By applying ALL (Marks[Subject]) as an argument to the Calculate functon, it removes the filter coming from Subject column, that is the reason on each row, you see the total amount where [Total obtained marks] is not affected by subject.

Hi guys, many thanks for your replies. Happy 2024.! I dont understand following sentence "In your formula, Caculate is used to modify how your measure [Total obtained marks] is evaluated."How the measure is evaluated with calculate and without ? 

I still dont understand what Calculate do? How Calculate operate. 

@markovuc 

Imagine you have a formula to calculate the total marks obtained, and it takes into account different subjects. Now, if you use the CALCULATE function with ALL(Marks[Subject]) as an argument, it's like telling the formula to ignore the influence of the subject filter. So, on each row, you get the total marks without being influenced by the specific subject, giving you a broader picture across all subjects.

Hope that clarifies it! If you have any specific questions or need more examples, feel free to ask.

tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @markovuc ,

The formular calculates the Grand Total by using the [Total obtained marks] measure and removing the applied filter to Marks[Subject] (due to "ALL()" )

That is why your visual shows the same number for all subjects in the Grand total column. PBI applies a filter to each row of your table, namely where Marks[Subject] = "Bio" for row 1, Marks[Subject] = "Computer" for row 2 etc. Now the ALL() function makes your Grand Total measure disregard that exact filter and therefore it shows 355 for all rows whereas the filter for the other measure [Total obtained marks] is still being applied.

hope this helps 🙂

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.