Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Gazzer
Resolver II
Resolver II

Web Connector to Xe.com

I have a web connector which goes to xe.com to get the current list of currency exchange rates. It works fine in Desktop, but once uploaded it is not possible to set a scheduled refresh as there is no gateway.

This appears to be a simple, publicly available site and I unclear why this would not be possible to refresh. I may be wrong on this, of course.

The steps:

let
    Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("http://www.xe.com/currencytables/?from=GBP")),
    Data0 = Source{0}[Data],
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Data0,{{"Currency code ▲▼", type text}, {"Currency name ▲▼", type text}, {"Units per GBP", type number}, {"GBP per Unit", type number}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type1",{{"Currency code ▲▼", "Currency Code"}, {"Currency name ▲▼", "Currency Name"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sdjensen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I guess you will need to install the Power BI Gateway (on a server that is running when you want to run your refresh) and then you need to add the website as a source when you manage the Gateway in the service and then you will be able to schedule a refresh.

It seems like an odd requirement because it's a source available to everyone and you don't need any login to access the data, but I guess Power BI need to know that this source doesn't require any login, hence you need to set authentication method to anonymous when you setup the data source.

/sdjensen

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sdjensen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I guess you will need to install the Power BI Gateway (on a server that is running when you want to run your refresh) and then you need to add the website as a source when you manage the Gateway in the service and then you will be able to schedule a refresh.

It seems like an odd requirement because it's a source available to everyone and you don't need any login to access the data, but I guess Power BI need to know that this source doesn't require any login, hence you need to set authentication method to anonymous when you setup the data source.

/sdjensen

@Greg_Deckler Thanks for the info - always good to know someone else can replicate the issue.

@sdjensen I guess you are right, I'm going to have to install the gateway. I appreciate you testing out the theory.

I just made a quick test using your query and without adding the source to my gateway i was NOT able to schedule refresh for this dataset, but once I added it to my gateway I could schedule it.

/sdjensen
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That is odd. I was able to recreate this. In the past, if it is a publicly available website and you use the Web Connector, the Service has been able to refresh these on its own. Something changed.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.