Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

dennisr
Helper I
Helper I

We were unable to connect because this credential type isn't supported for this resource

I've set up a Trial of Dynamics CRM.  I've done it outside of my organization by setting up an new account: e.g.   myname.testorg.onmicrosoft.com

When I try to connect to Dynamics CRM in PowerBI Desktop, using 'Organizational account', I get error "We were unable to connect because this credential type isn't supported for this resource" (The error shows before I'm even prompted for userid/pwd).

I've also tried using both "Windows > Use alternate credentials", and "Basic" which gives me error "OData: The given URL neither points to an OData service or a feed".

On a completely different account that my client gave me to his CRM, I was able to use  'Organizational account', and it worked OK, it just does not seem to work with the trial account.

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dennisr,

Firstly, please check if the account myname.testorg.onmicrosoft.com has permission to access organization. Then when you connect to Dynamics CRM Online, make sure the URL typed is Organization Service URL like below:

https://<org>.crm[x].dynamics.com/XRMService/2011/OrganizationData.svc

In addition, the error "neither OData service or feed" can be caused by connecting with the wrong credentails - the feed will redirect you to a login page instead of connecting to the feed. You can delete the credential (

Power BI Desktop - choose File - Options and Settings - Data Source Settings - Select a data source and click Edit - Delete credentials) and connect again.

For more information, please refer to links below:

OData error with Dynamics CRM Online

Connecting Power BI Desktop to Dynamics CRM Online

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Please be more specific about how to "has permission to access organization".

I went here, and "Edit" my user:

https://portal.office.com/AdminPortal/Home?switchtomoderndefault=true#/homepage

Product licenses
Office 365 Enterprise E3
Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online Professional

Roles
Global administrator

Yes, I'm using correct Organization Service URL. 

Yes, I already know about "delete the credential".  I've had to do it several times.   (Which is another peeve of mine - you guys may think it a convenience to use an existing connection / data source when the name matches, but in practice it does not always work - e.g.the 'server' name does not indicate which database to use.  We need a way to have our own Name for data sources.)

RE: " caused by connecting with the wrong credentails"
As per above ... " using 'Organizational account', ... The error shows before I'm even prompted for userid/pwd ..."

I was having the same issue you seem to be having. Check the Organization Service URL that you copied from your CRM Customizations Page, eg: 'https://<org>.crm.dynamic.com/XRMServices/2011/OrganizationData.svc'.

The link that was in my CRM left out the word 'Data' after Organization. I simply typed in 'Data' back in and it worked for me. Hope this helps. 

Thanks!

I had the same issue and it was fixed by adding Data in the link I got from the CRM instance. Perfect.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.