Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

james_wood
Frequent Visitor

Waterfall chart date axis won't format by year and month

james_wood_0-1644226523162.png

I have the above waterfall chart but the year is included in every month name. How do I format it to match the below x-axis for another graph i have where the year is common to all months.

james_wood_1-1644226584410.png

In both instances the shared axis is as follows but I can't seem to find any difference between the formatting types. Surely it can't just be that a column chart can show year/month more clearly and a waterfall chart cannot do this?

james_wood_2-1644226627727.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As I mentioned above, removing gridlines removes the entire x-axis which I don't want. Found the solution though: It would be on y-axis and then 'add zero line' and increase zero line width.

Thanks for suggestion regarding visual rename. I've solved it by renaming it in the 'Values' area specifically for that visual

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@james_wood,

Try using the Simple Waterfall visual:

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA200000195?tab=Overview 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried it out and it does solve the issue I have although it does have rather ugly boxes around each month (see below). Any way to remove them as well as the measure name under the dark blue total column? I can see in formatting that gridlines for the x-axis can be removed but this removes x-axis altogther rather than the boxes around each month.

james_wood_0-1644250103725.png

Is it not possible with PBI's own waterfall chart to display the year as clearly as your simple waterfall installation?

@james_wood,

In the X-Axis formatting properties, you can toggle Show/Hide Gridlines.

There might be an option to remove the measure name from the visual. If not, you can rename the measure in the field well ("Rename for this visual") with a whitespace character (see link below).

https://unicode-explorer.com/c/180E 

As far as PBI's own waterfall chart--the hierarchical display of Year/Month may be a limitation of the visual (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

As I mentioned above, removing gridlines removes the entire x-axis which I don't want. Found the solution though: It would be on y-axis and then 'add zero line' and increase zero line width.

Thanks for suggestion regarding visual rename. I've solved it by renaming it in the 'Values' area specifically for that visual

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.