Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

connorhankins
Regular Visitor

Waterfall Chart Start and End Value

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to construct a waterfall chart and have run into a few challenges. Specifically, I am trying to create a chart that has a start and end value (Actual value and forecasted value) and then has bars in between that are the VTF explained by specific categories. I am having trouble making the start and end values and I'm not sure if the Breakdown option is the right choice for this.

I would like the chart to appear in this order:

Actual value... factor x , factor y, factor z (all measured by VTF) ... Forecasted value

I would like the chart to be dynamic since it is pulling data from a single source. If anyone knows if this is possible or has any information about how I may construct this chart correctly, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @connorhankins 

It is possible to get a waterfall visual to do this, but it may require creating appropriate dimensions/measures to use on the visual.

Would you mind sharing some sample data, at least to show the structure of your tables? This will affect how the measures are written.

With the built-in waterfall visual, you place fields on Category/Breakpoint and a measure on Y Axis.

1. The Y Axis measure is evaluated for each value of Category to produce total bars
  2. The Y Axis measure is evaluated again for each pair of adjacent values of Category, with each Breakdown filter applied in turn, and the difference produces the movement bars.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.