Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visual to show Monthly progress/change & YTD total

I am building a dashboard and want to visually display my data to show the total number of requests received for the month,  the change (increase or decrease) in the total requests received from last month(preferably an indicator like an arrow),  YTD total and the total number of requests by category. Something like below; 

neeradhi_0-1598926258390.png

My data looks like this : 

- Completion Month is a calculated column which is derived from the completion date

IDComplexityCompletion DateCompletion Month
101Medium02/07/20207
102Easy15/07/20207

Easy17/07/20207
104Easy03/08/20208
105Difficult09/08/20208
106Difficult11/08/20208
107Medium21/08/20208
108Medium01/09/20209

So if I generate the report for August, I should be able to see 

Total # of requests for Aug =  4

With an indicator/arrow show an increase from last month 

YTD total of 8

If possible breakdown the total for Aug by complexity - 1 easy, 2 difficult, 1 medium. 

I have tried the KPI visualization, but it needs a target, which in my case will change monthly - i.e. for the current month, the target will be the total for the previous month. 

Instead of fitting everything into one visual, I can have two as well. 

6 REPLIES 6
mchandler
Frequent Visitor

I am looking for almost the same thing, I would like the visual to display Today New Tickets (My ticket system gives me a date field called [Created Date] That has a date Hierarchy under it. I also have each ticket id number [ID].

Currently, to get the MTD on my report I am using the "Count of ID" on a card as the field and using a filter on [Created Date. The filter type is Relative Date = is in this month.  Then once I am able to do this one I need to do one that takes [Created Date and subs in [Resolved Date] for the next card

What I am trying to achieve is a Hand-drawn below. 

I am very new to Power bi, so please if you have the time please be as detailed as possible. Thank you for any and all help you can give. 

Image 4-30-21 at 9.38 AM.jpg

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi   @Anonymous ,

Do the suggestions from engineers make sense? If so, kindly mark the proper reply as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-xicai , 

I used the time intelligence functions to calculate the total number of requests received in the previous month. However, I got the following error. 

Error 

neeradhi_0-1599700269243.png

Measure 

Prev MTD Req = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(TestWorkFlow), PREVIOUSMONTH('TestWorkFlow'[ActualCompletionDate].[Month]))

In the initial solution provided, it says to calculate a SUM, but I do not want the sum, I am looking for the count instead. Therefore used COUNTROWS.

The Actual Completion Date is a DATE field. 

Table name is  Test Work Flow

IDComplexityActual Completion DateCompletion Month
101Medium02/07/20207
102Easy15/07/20207

Easy17/07/20207
104Easy03/08/20208
105Difficult09/08/20208
106Difficult11/08/20208
107Medium21/08/20208
108Medium01/09/20209

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I am quite new to Power BI & learning as I go. I am still confused about the time intelligence thing. 

I am currently building a dashboard, and have left this part for the later. I will try out the options earlier next week. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , for MTD and YTD you can use time intelligence.

example

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))
last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))
last month Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),previousmonth('Date'[Date]))
last MTD (complete) Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH))))
previous month value =  CALCULATE(sum('table'[total hours value]),previousmonth('Date'[Date]))

diff = [MTD Sales]-[last MTD Sales]
diff % = divide([MTD Sales]-[last MTD Sales],[last MTD Sales])

YTD

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date],"12/31"))
Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
This year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
Last year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))

Icon using conditional formatting

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/conditional-formatting-using-icons-in-power-bi/
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/FORMAT-icon-set-for-use-in-a-data-card/td-p/811692

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/dax-unichar-function-power-bi/

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You cannot show all those KPI's in one visual.  In a multi row card visual, you can show all KPI's except "total number of requests by category"

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.