Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI-Newbie
Helper III
Helper III

Updating Imported Data in Power BI using Power Apps

Hi,

I know I can import data into Power BI but I wanted to know how I can then update this data using the Power Apps visual. Any help is much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

Certainly! Using Power Apps with Power BI can provide a dynamic way to update data in your Power BI reports. Here's a step-by-step guide on how you can achieve this:

1. Create a Power BI Report:

• Start by creating your Power BI report with the data you've imported.
  2. Enable Power Apps Visual in Power BI:

• In Power BI Desktop, go to the "View" tab and make sure the "Power Apps" visual is enabled. If not, you can find it in the "Visualizations" pane under the "Power BI visuals" section.
  3. Add Power Apps Visual to Report:

• Drag the Power Apps visual onto your report canvas.
  4. Create a Power App:

• Open Power Apps and create a canvas app. You can start with a blank canvas app or use a template based on your needs.
  5. Connect Power App to Data Source:

• Connect your Power App to the same data source used in Power BI. This ensures that the Power App has access to the same data.
  6. Design Power App Form:

• Design a form or interface in your Power App to allow users to update the data. Include input fields, buttons, and any other controls needed for data manipulation.
  7. Integrate Power App with Power BI:

• In Power Apps, use the Power BI integration features to connect the Power App to your Power BI report. You can do this by adding a Power BI tile to your Power App and configuring it to display the relevant Power BI report or visuals.
  8. Pass Data Between Power BI and Power App:

• You may need to pass the selected data from Power BI to the Power App. This can be done using parameters or other methods depending on your specific use case.
  9. Update Data in Power App:

• When users interact with the Power App and make updates, you can use Power Apps formulas or custom logic to update the underlying data source.
  10. Refresh Power BI Report:

• After the data is updated in the Power App, you can trigger a refresh in Power BI to reflect the changes in your report. This can be done manually or automatically based on your requirements.

Remember to test the integration thoroughly to ensure that the data is updated accurately and that the Power BI report reflects the changes made in the Power App. Additionally, consider security and permissions to ensure that only authorized users can make updates.

Keep in mind that the specifics of these steps may vary depending on the details of your data source, the complexity of your report, and your specific use case.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In case there is still a problem, please feel free and explain your issue in detail, It will be my pleasure to assist you in any way I can.

Hi @123abc , thank you for your quick response.

How do I connect Power Apps to the data that's already been imported and is inside Power BI (i.e. the data source is now Power BI)? Furthermore, the Power BI report (with the Power Apps visual) will be what the users will be using for their data entry and analysis. I hope that is clear.

Certainly, I understand. If your data is already in Power BI and you want to allow users to update that data using a Power App embedded within your Power BI report, you can follow these steps:

1. Create a Power App:

• Open Power Apps.
  • Create a new app or use an existing one.
  • Ensure that your app is connected to the same data source as your Power BI report (Power BI dataset).

2. Design Power App:

• Design your app to include the fields that users need to update.
  • Use the "Power BI" connector in Power Apps to connect to the dataset used in Power BI.

3. Power BI Integration in Power App:

• Inside Power Apps, use the "Power BI Integration" connector to interact with the Power BI report.
  • You might need to use functions like PowerBIIntegration.Data to get or update data in Power BI.

4. Embed Power App in Power BI:

• In Power BI Desktop, go to the "Home" tab.
  • Click on "Get Data" and choose "Power Apps."
  • Select the Power App you created in step 1.

5. Configure Power App Visual:

• Drag the Power Apps visual onto your Power BI report.
  • Configure the visual by selecting the Power App you embedded.

6. Power App Interaction:

• Users can interact with the embedded Power App in Power BI to update the underlying data.
  • Changes made in Power Apps should be reflected in your Power BI report.

7. Sharing:

• Share your Power BI report with others, ensuring they have the necessary permissions to interact with the embedded Power App.

Important Notes:

• Data Consistency: Ensure that the data in Power Apps and Power BI remains consistent. Changes made in one should be reflected in the other.

• Permissions: Users need appropriate permissions to access and update data in both Power BI and Power Apps.

• Power BI Pro: Sharing Power BI reports with embedded Power Apps might require a Power BI Pro license.

Remember to refer to the latest documentation for any updates or changes in the integration process. This approach allows users to use the Power BI report for both data analysis and entry by seamlessly incorporating Power Apps for data updates.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In case there is still a problem, please feel free and explain your issue in detail, It will be my pleasure to assist you in any way I can.

Hi @123abc , how do I select the imported data in Power BI when creating the app in Power Apps?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.