Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

alexddc24
Advocate II
Advocate II

Union of filters from the same column

Hi all, first time poster but long time reader. Been racking my brain all day on this one and come up short after going through multiple forums, youtube videos and trying to come up with alternate solutions.

My issue is that I want to show a 'home' category against a number of comparative categories. The groupings exist in the data, but I'm wanting to show the result (or/union) of both filters. I'm open to suggestions for alternate solutions but ultimately I want to show the results in a column chart that dynamically use the available width of the screen (or whatever screen real estate I choose).

My solution at the moment has the home category filtering 1 chart, then the comparative slicer filtering a second chart where I've played around with groups and small multiples. My issue is that small multiples doesn't utilise the available space as the number of rows/columns are hard coded. 

The solution I had in mind was to create a single table that is the result of both filters (so the union) so I can use that as the basis for a single visualisation. I hope that makes sense, I've created a sample file to show my existing data model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pmSUxtXaBvY6z72yReKVWVHT7ylavjOt/view?usp=share_link

The file has a fact table and groupings (in reality, the fact table contains more rows/columns with dates etc). I think created a 'compare table' which is a full outer join of groupings to allow for the home slicer to filter the comparison slicer. That part works, it's then the fact that I can't get a union of those slicer results.

As I said, there are probably a number of other ways I can tackle this but nothing else seems to work. I'm not in a position where I can pay for any premium custom viz either. Thanks in advance and I'm more than happy to provide more information or clarify anything.

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @alexddc24 

Based on the example file you provided, what kind of output do you expect? Can you give an example? You can also show it with pictures or Excel.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi there - had to find an alternative solution for a mock up but it would still be nice to be able to do this. I will try and describe my goal using a diagram.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.