Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akj2784
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Understand the development process with AAS in place

Hi All,

We have SSAS 2017 on premise in memory database  as a source for Power BI Desktop.

So we create data model in SSDT, publish it to SSAS server. Connect live from Power BI desktop to this tabular model and create reports/dashboard.

Now we are planning to have Azure Analysis Services which is on cloud.

I want to understand the developement flow like with AAS in place, are we supposed to develop the data model directly on Power BI Desktop ?

Or we may have to develop the data model somewhere else like currently we use SSDT tool to create model.

Want to understand in terms of architecture.

Regards,

Akash

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi akj2784,

Azue AS is similar with SSAS, you can use SSDT to create data model then deploy to Azure AS and you can also create a data model in Azure portal. 

For more details about how to mange data model in Azure AS, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-create-server

For more details about connect to Azure AS in power bi, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-connect-pbi

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

If I continue the development in SSDT, we may not be able to leverage the latest Power BI Dekstop feature which comes every month. e.g. I want to use R as source in my data model but SSDT does not support that.

Is there any way we can do our developement in Power BI Desktop itself ?

And if I want to create  a new model using web designer, can I take the data from ORacle db. ?

And if I develop the model on web designer , PBI desktop would not be required to create model ?

Any further enhancement to model has to be done at web designer ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.