Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MKPA
Regular Visitor

Unable to change PBIX into ZIP - trying to change data source

Hello, 

I need to change the datasource of my report. I can't, however, do it traditionally through data source settings in PowerBI Desktop. I have to change the datasource before opening my report. I found this fix: 

Edit PBIX files (especially data source settings) ... - Microsoft Fabric Community

According to a response on this post I should be able to change my report to zip file and then edit the "Connections" file. But I can't seem to be able to edit the type of my file. When changing the name of the file there is no way to edit the extension. I haven't found any other way to change the type.

MKPA_0-1713183698625.png

Is there a way that I'm missing to change the pbix to zip? Or maybe do you have another idea on how to change the datasource outside of PowerBI Desktop? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @MKPA 

Assuming you are using Windows.  If you have W11, in Windows Explorer go to the View menu -> Show -> File name extensions

If you have an older version of Windows, you need to go File -> Options -> View -> uncheck the box 'Hide file extensions for known file types'.

You should now be able to see the file extension and change it.

You could also do this in a Windows Command Prompt window, by renaming the file from FileName.pbix to FileName.zip

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @MKPA 

Assuming you are using Windows.  If you have W11, in Windows Explorer go to the View menu -> Show -> File name extensions

If you have an older version of Windows, you need to go File -> Options -> View -> uncheck the box 'Hide file extensions for known file types'.

You should now be able to see the file extension and change it.

You could also do this in a Windows Command Prompt window, by renaming the file from FileName.pbix to FileName.zip

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

AnalyticPulse
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

you just have to rename the file and and add .zip at the end to convert it to zip.

Of course I tried to add ".zip". It didn't work.

it has to work, copy your file to your phone and then rename it, it'll work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.